Oats is commonly used as breakfast item. Even though it is healthy, sometimes eating oats can be boring. Oats uttappam is a vegan friendly, good, healthy breakfast prepared with vegetables. It is stomach friendly, vegan and easy to prepare.
- Cooking oats or rolled oats -1 cup
- Fine rava (sooji or cream of wheat) -1/2 cup
- Besan (gram flour)-1/2 cup
- Water -1 to1.5 cup or as required
- Lemon juice – 1 Tbsp
- Baking soda -1/4 tsp
- Onion, thinly sliced – One medium thinly sliced
- Tomato, thinly sliced- One medium thinly sliced
- Bell pepper – small – thinly sliced
- Carrot – grated 1 Tbsp
- Green chilli, chopped – 1 to 2 finely chopped
- Coriander/cilantro – 1 Tbsp finely chopped
- Salt- as required
- Oil – for cooking
- Batter preparation: Grind oats in a mixer to fine powder. Add rava and gram flour to powdered mix. Add salt and mix well. Add ½ cup water, mix well. There should not be any lumps. Cover the lid and leave the batter to settle for about 20 to 30 mins.
- Meanwhile wash all the vegetables. Cut onion and tomato into thin slices. Grate carrot and cut green chili into small pieces. Chop cilantro. Mix all the vegetables and keep it aside.
- After 20 mins check the batter – it will be thick as besan and sooji absorbs water. Add little more water and bring it to dosa batter consistency.
- Add lemon juice, baking soda to the batter and mix well. Let it sit for couple of minutes.
- Heat a cast iron pan or tava on medium heat. Spray little oil on the surface.
- Take a ladle full of oat batter and pour it on the pan equally.
- Take little veggie mix and spread it on batter. Using a spatula gently press the veggies on dosa so that veggies stick to the dosa and cook well.
- Put little oil o dosa surface and cover the lid.
- Cook uttappam on both sides till the veggies cook.
- Serve cooked, hot uttappam with spicy chutney powder/sambar and coconut chutney.
Image credit: https://in.pinterest.com/pin/454089574906493560/
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: June 21, 2021