Fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) are highly recommended for controlling blood sugar, weight, heart health, inflammation and for improved digestion. Adding fenugreek seeds in our daily dishes will help to improve several such conditions. It is also a remedy to improve milk production in nursing mothers.
Ways to use fenugreek seeds – eating soaked seeds, fry and add to dishes or make powder and use when you need. Here is a fenugreek seed masala gravy, also known as methi gojju or fenugreek seeds gojju is a dish that is useful for improving digestion. You can mix this with rice and eat it, or serve as side dish with yogurt rice, chapati etc.
Fenugreek seeds gojju receipe
1. Fenugreek seeds – ¼ cup
2. Green chilies – 5
3. Grated coconut -1/2 cup
4. Cilantro/coriander chopped -1/4 cup
5. Tamarind – small lemon size
6. Curry leaves – few
7. Jaggery -1/2 tsp (optional)
8. Salt – as per taste
9. Seasoning ingredients- oil, mustard, red chili, hing
10. Water – about a cup
1. Place a frying pan on medium heat. Add 1 tsp oil and fry green chilis for a minute or until green color changes. Remove and keep chilis aside.
2. Add 1 to 2 tsp oil to pan, heat the oil to prepare seasoning. To the heated oil add mustard, red chili, curry leaves and hing.
3. Once the mustard pops, add fenugreek seeds and fry till it turns golden brown and releases aroma.
4. Add half cup water to the mix and boil to cook fenugreek seeds.
5. To prepare masala add grated coconut, cilantro, fried green chilis, salt, jaggery to grinder and grind.
6. Add grinded masala to methi seeds mixture and boil. If you prefer add little more water. The consistency of fenugreek masala should be like gravy.
7. Serve fenugreek masala gravy either hot or at room temperature with rice, chapati or bread.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: August 21, 2023