A cup coffee with spicy evening snack during rainy season lifts our mood. Try Madduru vada for a rainy day. Madduru is a small town in Karnataka State of Southern India. This famous snack Madduru vada was invented in this place by Ramachandra Budhya a century ago, in order to fulfill hungry stomach of passengers who come by evening train. Now this snack is available in most restaurants and also one can prepare at home easily. Madduru town is situated on the highway between Bengaluru and Mysore cities.
Madduru vada is an evening snack served with hot coffee in this part of the world. The aroma of the Madduru vada wafts as soon as one reaches Madduru.
Madduru vada recipe:
- Rice flour: 1 cup
- Semolina or small rava: ½ cup
- All purpose flour – ¼ cup
- Onion: 2 medium size red onion
- Green chilies: 2-3, finely chopped
- Coriander: ¼ cup chopped
- Curry leaves: Few
- Red chili powder: ½ tsp
- Groundnut halves: 1 Tbsp (optional)
- Oil: 3 Tbsp for mixing
- Salt: as per taste
- Oil for frying: Vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, add rice flour, semolina and all purpose flour
- Combine all the other ingredients in another mixing bowl – coriander, green chili, cut curry leaves, chopped onions, groundnut halves – mix well and add it to flour bowl
- Mix well by adding 3 Tbsp oil and salt. Onion will release moisture, hence water is not needed to mix the contents.
- Knead and let the flour mix sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- Knead dough again. Now the flour mix will have moisture to make flat vada. In case, you feel moisture is not enough to prepare vada, then add few drops of water.
- Prepare lemon size balls with dough.
- In a deep frying pan heat oil on medium heat.
- To make Maddur vada you can use Aluminum foil piece or banana leaf. Grease palms and banana leaf (or aluminum foil) with little oil. Take dough ball and pat it flat on the leaf using fingers. Do not make it too thin.
- Slide the flattened Maddur vada in heated oil and fry both sides till it turns golden to slightly darker brown.
- Transfer hot Maddur vada on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve Maddhur vada as evening snack with coconut chutney and hot coffee or tea!
Image credit: https://in.pinterest.com/pin/147563325274115011/
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: June 7, 2021