Festival of lights means celebration time and time for sweet.
This year we are giving you recipe of Kala jamun – rich with nuts, saffron and supplies protein.
It is easy to prepare and tastes delicious. Celebrate this Diwali with kala jamun.
Recipe serves 5 to 6 people.
What you need? List of ingredients
- Nonfat milk powder – 1 cup
- All-purpose flour/ Maida – ¼ cup
- Baking soda – very little (2 pinches)
- Paneer – ¼ cup
- Heavy cream – ½ cup
- Oil or clarified butter for frying
- Almond crushed – 1 Tbs
- Pistachio crushed – 1 Tbs
- Warm milk – 1 Tbs
- Saffron – few ( 1 tsp) (soak in little heavy cream)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Syrup preparation: Mix water and sugar and keep it on medium heat. When it comes to boiling point add cardamom. Simmer until the syrup becomes sticky. Turn off the heat.
- Kala Jamun Preparation
- Knead paneer to make it smooth.
- In a vessel mix all-purpose flour, baking soda, fat free milk powder. To this add smooth paneer and mix well. While mixing add heavy cream. Prepare a soft dough. Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 mins.
- Mix saffron, almond and pistachio.
- Now knead the dough and divide dough to equal 15 dough pieces.
- Take these pieces in palm and fill saffron, almond and pistachio mix ingredients. To fill – take one part of dough and roll it in your palms. Mold it into a cup and fill the ingredients. Cover and roll into smooth ball again. Similarly fill all dough pieces and get ready with filled balls.
- In a deep-frying pan heat oil or clarified butter. Release the filled jamun balls in the heated oil. At a time, release 3 jamun balls. Kala jamun expands because of filling, so avoid frying too many jamuns at a time.
- Fry jamun balls for few minutes, until the color turns bit darker brown.
- Remove and put kala jamun in sugar syrup for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove kala jamun from sugar syrup. Sprinkle little dry coconut powder on kala jamun and serve.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: October 22, 2019