Summer starts soon and we have to consume such foods that will help our body to keep cool and energetic during hot summer season. During summer several such herbs are available in home garden or local markets that act as coolant for our body. These herbs can be used to prepare stomach friendly dishes and all these dishes will have curd (yogurt) or buttermilk and named Tambuli. Also, one can prepare delicious green or red chutney using these medicinal herbs .
Ajwani (Karpooravalli or Doddapatre, Patharchur) is a medicinal herb (Coleus aromaticus) which has been in use in Ayurveda for many centuries. Leaf, stem and seeds of the plant have many medicinal properties. It is very useful for parents who have little children at home. It is useful in controlling cough, cold, indigestion, sore throat etc. Grandma’s two traditional ajwani recipes are below:
- Ajwani leaves : 10 -12
- Cumin seeds: 1 Tea spoon
- Pepper : 1 tsp
- Green chilly :1 ( usually they are made less spicy )
- Urad daal – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
- Curd or butter milk : 1 & 1/2 cup
- Ghee: 1 tp
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Salt : to taste
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves : 5 to 6 leaves
- Red chilly – 1 broken ( optional )
- Wash ajawani leaves thoroughly and remove water by keeping leaves on a paper or tissue. Cut leaves into small pieces
- Heat a pan and add 1 tsp oil and add cut ajwani leaves to heated oil. Fry leaves for few minutes. When you see the leaves are totally turns to dark green by giving up water remove leaves from the stove.
- Transfer fried & cooked leaves to a dry plate to cool down.
- In a pan heat the ghee and add pepper, cumin seeds, urad daal and Fry them. After frying turn off the stove and mix the content with coconut.
- Grind all the contents with ajwani leaves and green chilly by adding little water and salt. Transfer content to a vessel and add buttermilk or curd.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves, asafetida and red chilli. Transfer this on tambuli.
- Serve tambuli with white rice as a lunch dish.
AJWANI LEAVES CHUTNEY
- Ajwani leaves -10 (cut into small pieces)
- Red chillies -3
- Pepper -1/2 tsp
- Urad daa- 1/2 tsp.
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind -1/2 lemon size.
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Heat a pan and dry roast the chillies, pepper and urad daal until urad daal turns golden brown.
- Add cut ajwani leaves and fry for few minutes. Now add coconut and tamarind and saute it.
- Cool and course grind in a grinder by adding 1/2 tsp salt.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and one red chilly. Transfer this to chutney and mix.
- Have chutney with white rice, pulav, chapatti or roti.
Caution: Do not consume raw leaves as they have tiny hair and aroma may cause itchy throat.