The magical, wonderful medicinal plant which is a gift to mankind is bitter gourd!. It has so many medicinal properties. Bitter gourd is also known as bitter melon, Karela, or Balsam Pear. The melon has an extremely bitter taste, but it is a helpful food. It is useful in Diabetes-2, kidney stones, lowering cholesterol, weight loss, better skin, source of vitamin K, in liver cleaning etc. Because of bitter taste, people find it hard how to use this wonderful gourd. Bitter melon is commonly added to stir-fry, or may be enjoyed stuffed or we can make simple chips! It can be added to the diet as a supplement. In order to receive the full health benefits, find and cook the melon regularly. Here is bitter gourd chips recipe, which tastes less bitter but retains its valuable properties.
- Bitter gourd 2-3
- Chilli powder 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida -pinch
- Salt as per taste
- Few curry leaves
- Oil 3-4 tsp
1. Wash bitter gourds and slice them into thin rings.
2. Put 2 tsp turmeric and one tsp salt and using a spoon mix the bitter gourds
3. After 15 minutes, some amount of bitter water will come out from the bitter gourd. Remove this water & keep the slice on dry paper/tissue paper.
4. In a bowl mix oil, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, curry leaves, asafetida and salt. Transfer the bitter gourd rings to this mix and using a spoon gently apply the mix to bitter gourd rings. Keep it for 15 minutes.
5. If you have a oven, pre heat the oven and transfer the rings to a foil on a baking tray and bake them at 360 F for 10 min.
6. Broil each side for about 2-5 min until they turn crispy and golden brown.
7. If you don’t have a oven then, transfer the ring on a tava and add little more oil and cook the rings on both the sides till they turn brown. One can deep-fry the rings until they become crispy.
8. Serving size: 5-6 chips/ serving. Serve these chips with meals as a side dish. It will taste slightly bitter, less spicy and good.
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: October 13, 2015