The English word potato comes from Spanish patata. Potato fulfills the hunger and supplies carbohydrates, fat, minerals and vitamins for the body. Potato has more carbohydrate contents in the form of starch. There are about 5000 varieties of potatoes in the world. Whether mashed, baked or roasted, people often consider potatoes as comfort food. It is an important food staple and the number one vegetable crop in the world. Potatoes are available year-round as they are harvested somewhere every month of the year. Here is a simple recipe of kids favorite French fries that one can prepare at home. Do not forget to retain the outer skin of potato while preparing fries because potato skin has more dietary fibre!
- (Serving size =4, Calories per one medium potato =134)
- Baking potatoes – 4
- Oil for frying
- Salt -to taste
- Red chilli powder -1 tsp
- Turmeric -1 tsp
- Asafetida – pinch
- Wash potatoes and remove any dust or soil particles from the skin.
Cut potatoes and slice them 1/4 inch thick into either flat rounds or traditional French fry shape.
- Boil cut potatoes for 5-10 minutes, till they become slightly tender.
Remove potatoes and spread on paper towel to remove excess water.
- Heat vegetable oil in large frying pan until it is good and hot.
- Add potatoes, cooking until they become golden. Cook until they are the color you desire and crispiness you want.
- If you prefer instead of deep-frying you can bake fries in the oven for 20 minutes at 350F, until they become crispy.
- Remove fries and place on a paper towel covered plate or lined bowl.
- Add salt to taste, season with slight chilli powder, turmeric and asafetida.
- Serve with tomato ketchup
Image courtesy: http://catalogorigin.wlimg.com
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: October 20, 2015