Our eyes are a link to the world around us. They operate through a network of light mechanics. When trouble arises in the network of light, individuals experience visual disorders. Problems with vision differ in different individuals, and manifest themselves as different disorders. The main issues with vision involve, blurred vision, halos, spots in vision (scotomas), and allergies.
What we can do improve and keep good eye vision?
Eye exercises make your eye muscles more flexible, and bring energy and blood flow to the eyes to maintain optimal vision. Regular eye exercises combat eye strain and also improve focus as well as concentration.
Hold a pencil at an arm’s length and focus on it. Slowly bring it closer to your nose and then move it farther from your vision until you can no longer keep it in focus. Repeat about 10 times a day.
Roll your eyes in the clockwise direction for a few seconds, and then roll them counter-clockwise for a few seconds. Repeat four or five times, blinking your eyes in between each set.
Try eyelid fluttering by blinking your eyes 20 to 30 times rapidly and repeatedly, without squeezing your eyes shut. Finally, close your eyes and let them rest. You can also try palming, which is described below. Do this twice daily.
Concentrate your vision on a distant object for a while. The best way to do this without straining your eyes is to look at the moon and focus on it for three to five minutes daily.
Perform one or more of these eye exercises on a regular basis, at least for a few months, to get encouraging results.
Sunning and Palming
Sunning and palming are also beneficial for eyes as these methods help reactivate and flex the eye lens and ciliary muscles.
Sunning will provide the benefit of the sun’s healing abilities and palming will promote relaxation and a sense of well-being. According to Chinese culture, the sun contains vital life energies that are critical to the health of the eyes as well as the overall body.
For sunning, allow the sun to shine directly on your closed eyelids while breathing deeply. Do this once daily for a few minutes, followed by palming.
For palming, rub your palms together to generate heat and then gently cup your palms over your closed eyes without applying pressure on the eyes. Make sure to cover your eyes completely so there is no trace of light. Do this several times daily while visualizing a pleasant scene.
Home and Ayurvedic remedies
- The juice extracted from the fresh fruit of Aamla is to be taken twice a day in a dose of 20 ml for the longevity of eyesight.
- Regular intake of pepper powder with honey acts as a boon for recovering the diminished vision.
- Rubbing the soles of the feet with mustard oil or ghee (clarified butter) regularly may be of good help.
- Being rich in vitamin A, Mango is a boon for the eyes. A regular intake of the same during the season is recommended for recovery from eyestrain.
- Fresh juice extracted from properly cleaned Rose petals is believed to improve the eye vision. This can be used both for external and internal purpose.
- Take regularly approx. half to one-teaspoon powder of the herb of Liquorice twice daily along with cow’s milk to improve the failing vision. This is extremely beneficial for the eyes. It can also to be taken mixed with honey or ghee.
- Almonds are also great for improving vision because of their rich omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin E and antioxidant content. They also help enhance memory and concentration. Soak 5 to 10 almonds in water overnight. The next morning, peel the skin and grind the almonds. Consume this paste with a glass of warm milk. Do this daily for at least a few months.
- Carrot and Amla: Another good home remedy for eye related disorders is to have one cup of carrot and amla juice, on an empty stomach in the morning. Carrot and amla have a lot of vitamin A and are store houses of antioxidants that help beat the ill effects of oxidative stress in the body.
- Totally avoid non-vegetarian, spicy and preservative laden foods. They lead to the build-up of toxins, which the body finds extremely difficult to flush out. These toxins build up and lead to various diseases including vision related problems.
Most common eye conditions come on so slowly that people may not develop noticeable symptoms until the disease has become severe. The best strategy for healthy eyes is regular eye examinations. Early detection and prompt treatment can prevent significant visual loss.
Image courtesty: https://360impact.files.wordpress.com/