If you are new to a dish washer and puzzled about how to organize dirty dishes for washing, then you are not alone! Even for those who own dishwashers for many years, many times dishes do not wash properly for wrong way of loading the dishes.
Here are some tips to keep dishes clean, stain free and soap free.
1. Never overload dish washer. Overloading makes it hard for water to reach all vessels properly.
2. If your run out of dishwasher detergent, never think of using regular dish washing soap in place. You will end up in big mess as the foamy sud can damage the pipeline and cause damage. Dishwashing detergents are formulated to use specifically for dish washing machine.
3. Before loading dishes, scrape the food off from plates and cooking vessels and give a pre-rinse. In case you have a quick rinse option then use it instead of scraping the food. This saves water too.
4. While loading the dishes, make sure the dirty part of all dishes gets water sprayed.
5. Never stack the dishes one above other in both racks.
6. Load dishes in lower shelf along sides and back so that they face middle of dishwasher for good wash.
7. Place coffee cups, plastic wares, small bowls and drinking glasses on top rack. Water pressure on bottom rack is more and could break glasses. To avoid breaking glasses place them in upper rack.
8. Keep glasses and coffee cups upside down between tines. Bowls can be placed sideways. This will avoid collecting water inside these dishes.
9. Spoons, knives, forks and other cutleries can go inside the bin/basket. Mix spoons and forks. Do not separate them. This will give better wash for the cutleries.
10. Place knives with handle up, so that you will not get hurt while unloading the knives. Forks can be placed with tines up for proper washing. Be careful while unloading sharp edged utensils and vessels.
11. Place dirty plates and larger bowls in between the racks.
12. Place cutting board and trays in the bottom rack at the outer edge of the rack for clean wash.
13. Use proper dishwasher liquid to clean the dishes. Depending on how hard your water source is, dishwashing detergent can be chosen. Between dishwashing detergent, gel or powder – you need to decide which one works best for cleaning dishes. When you buy detergent it should be fresh, if not it will not work properly.
14. Pour dishwashing detergent or powder in the dispenser. Do not throw the powder or pour gel under the bottom rack. It will not work.
15. While unloading the dishes, always remove lower rack dishes first. If you remove the dishes from upper rack any water that might be collected in dishes by chance, can drop on dry dishes in the lower rack.
16. Clean dishwasher once a while. Without loading the dishes, run empty with dish detergent
Image credit: anamoly23 https://www.flickr.com/photos/13985356@N05/1698572640 ( CC by 2.0)
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: October 16, 2020