Fleas create problem not only for pets for owners too. Fleas are not good for pets and owner’s health. Fleas can cause itching, skin rashes, infections in both. When pets are infested with fleas, it can cause scratches, wounds, hair loss and infections – fleas transmit tapeworms and bacterial infections. There are different ways one can control and protect pets from fleas. Flea repellents will help. If you are looking for homemade flea repellents, then try these tips
- Mix one part of white vinegar with ten parts of water. Transfer to a spray bottle and spritz on pets’ fur. Do not spray on pets’ sensitive parts – eyes, genitals and nose.
- Boil two pieces of lemon or lime in one-liter water. Allow the mix to cool for couple of hours. Transfer the liquid into a spray bottle and spritz on pet. Do not spray on pets’ sensitive parts – eyes, genitals and nose.
- Apple cider vinegar is also a good flea repellent. Mix two parts of apple cider vinegar with one part of water. Spray on pet’s coat and let it sink in. Alternatively, you can dip the pet comb in the mix and comb pet’s fur. Do not spray mix on your pets’ eyes and sensitive parts.
- Neem oil is a good old traditional insect repellent. Dilute neem oil with olive oil or grape seed oil (1 part of neem oil to 10 parts of olive oil), apply it on tail, shoulders, head and flanks. Neem oil prevents not just fleas, other insects also.
- Fleas like other insects lay egg on carpet, furniture, area rug etc. While vacuuming sprinkle salt on the area and let salt sit for few hours. Vacuum the room and rug. Repeat this few times or often or till you feel fleas are gone.
- Around pet bed or where your pet sleeps (like doghouse) draw a thick line of salt around in circle. Salt keeps flea away and in case there are ants, ants will be kept away too!
- Cedar chips, cedar block or cedar sawdust is good flea or insect repellent. Cedar odor is strong for fleas. You can keep cedar chips under pet’s bed or insert in pet’s pillow.
- If you are familiar with brewer’s yeast, then apply on pet’s fur. Brewer’s yeast repels fleas. Your pet might be allergic to brewer’s yeast. If so, then do not use brewer’s yeast on pet.
- Pet safe essential oils are available. Light application of citronella, lavender, eucalyptus, tree tea oil on the collar around the neck and even on leash or pet muffler will keep fleas away.
- You can also light citronella oil candles around the room, that spreads the odor to keep fleas far away.
- Diatomaceous earth is another natural powder which is an abrasive powder obtained from diatoms (algae). Just like salt, apply diatomaceous earth powder on surfaces and areas where your pet sits and sleeps. Vacuum the powder after two to three days.
- Flea traps: Flea traps with on-off green light is helpful to trap fleas. Fleas respond to green light than other light wavelengths and using a glue board with green light traps fleas.
Take care of pet fleas’ problem. If your pet has hypersensitive skin, then it will need veterinary attention. If ignored, infestations can quickly spread with new eggs, larvae, pupae and new fleas.
Image credit: Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay (Free for commercial use)
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: March 13, 2020