Keep baking soda at your kitchen cabinet all the time. There are many uses of baking soda that help us to save money. The alkaline quality of baking soda is great for cleaning purposes and eliminates odor. This property also makes it safe on skin and one can use it as an exfoliant. How to use baking soda for various purposes at home?
- Clean fruits and vegetables: Baking soda removes surface dust and attached microbes on fruits and vegetables. For one big bowl add 2 Tbsp baking soda and mix. Soak freshly bought veggies and fruits in water containing baking soda water and leave it for 15 to 20 mins. Remove and wash in regular tap water before using them.
- Use it as mouth wash: Oral hygiene is critical for our health. Sometimes mouth can give out bad odor. To reduce the odor and to keep gum healthy, mix 1 tsp baking soda in 100 ml water. Mix and use it to rinse mouth. It removes bad breath and foul odor from mouth.
- For body odor control: Did you know? You can use baking powder and lemon juice mix to eliminate sweat odor? It is a natural deodorant. You can mix both to prepare paste and apply in arm pit. You can also apply just the baking soda in armpits to eliminate the odor.
- Get rid of itching: Insect bites can cause itching. When bit by mosquitoes especially, mix a tsp of baking soda to a cup of water. Apply this on affected skin area, leave it for few minutes and wash using warm water.
- Teeth whitener: To naturally whiten teeth, take two strawberries and 1 tsp of baking soda. Mix by crushing strawberry. Apply this mix onto teeth and leave it for 5 to 7 mins. Brush teeth. Do this at least twice a week to get white teeth.
- Use it for cleaning: Sprinkle baking soda on cutting board, apply lemon juice or vinegar. Leave it for some time and wash using dish soap. You will have clean cutting board. Use baking soda to clean fridge, microwave –for fridge- to warm water add one tsp baking soda and little lemon juice. Leave the container in fridge for couple of hours. Run microwave with container (microwavable) for about 5 mins. Wipe the inside of microwave. This eliminates odor and helps to remove the stains.
- For Sunburn: Baking soda helps to reduce impact of sunburn. Prepare a cold press using baking soda and cold water. Wet a towel in a mix of baking soda and cold water and apply the compress on burnt skin. This reduces burning sensation and redness.
- Use for tired foot: Soak feet in a bucket or big bowl of water containing baking soda. Use warm water. Sit for 30 mins. Remove feet from baking soda water and wash using normal water. This tip helps to reduce tiredness in legs and feet.
- Cleaning toe and fingernails: Apply baking soda on nails of toe and fingers. Use a nail brush and clean the nails.
- Apply between toes: Applying baking soda between toes helps to reduce any itching and cleans the area.
- To get clean skin: Apply a mix of baking soda and lemon juice paste on face. Avoid eye area. Leave it for five mins and rinse face using warm water. This mix acts as cleansing and exfoliating agent leaving behind clean skin.
- Acts as a fire extinguisher: Did you know that baking soda is good fire extinguisher. Keep boxes of baking soda in kitchen shelf. In case of fire, pour baking soda on the fire to stop disaster.
- To eliminate odor of garbage cans: Sprinkle baking soda inside garbage can, leave it for an hour and wash. Or, mix baking soda in water, apply this inside the cans.
- To remove oil stains: As soon as you spill oil on cloth, pat excess oil with a tissue and then apply baking soda and water mix generously on oil stain. Leave it for an hour or so then brush the area.
- Carpet cleaner and deodorizer: To remove dirt and grime from carpet, sprinkle baking soda on carpet followed b vacuum. You can use essential oil like tree oil and mix baking soda in a sprayer bottle and apply on carpet and then vacuum too. This technique removes dampness from carpets and eliminates any hidden germs.
- Keep clothes clean and odor free: During monsoon and winter clothes can remain dampen. This could cause mold to grow. Same issue is with dampen shoes. Sprinkle baking soda on clothes and on shoes. This not only removes moisture, also eliminates odor and protects clothes and shoes from fungus.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: February 28, 2022