Turmeric is one of the strongest antibiotic herb that is described in Indian ancient texts and medicines. Alone or in combination with other ingredients it is one of the most preferred herb for various conditions. Indian kitchens use turmeric on daily basis. Without Turmeric, there is no curry. Similarly, the use of turmeric to keep skin healthy is traditional aspect of Indian culture. Turmeric often combined with honey, milk, lemon juice, black pepper, curd or lemon zest to use for various conditions. The blend of turmeric with honey and /or any of other ingredients has powerful healing capacity. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory property and controls allergies. It is a immune booster.
Raw honey also has anti-inflammatory property and reduces chronic pain. It is a powerhouse of all good characters and just like turmeric can be used externally as well as can be used as food. Whether it is cold, burns, wounds, skin problems, cough – for various condition raw honey can be included in the home remedies.
Now imagine what happens when these two ingredients combined? You will have a wonderful mixture in your hand that can be used for various conditions and it is strongest antibiotic mix !.
If you consume orally,
- Turmeric powder – 1 Tbs
- Pinch of black pepper – it optimizes turmeric absorption by body
- Raw honey – 100 grams
- Lemon zest – 1 tsp
Mix turmeric powder and black pepper. Add this to honey and keep stirring using a spoon until you get a smooth semi-solid liquid. Add lemon zest and continue mixing. Transfer the mixture to an air tight container and store. Avoid storing in fridge as it might give an odd odor. Use it within few days of preparation for following conditions.
- For flu, asthma, bronchitis and lung problems: Take half tsp three times a day before food.
- For dry cough and cold –Evening a tsp before going to bed with warm milk (or roast turmeric root and prepare powder – mix with honey, black pepper powder and lemon zest and take a tsp with warm water twice a day).
- For energy and immune system booster: Take one Tbsp of the mix daily morning or at night
- For body inflammation: Daily morning a tsp of the mix with warm water or half glass milk
For external application: Don’t add black pepper. Instead of lemon zest, add lemon juice and mix three ingredients and use it same day.
For skin: Apply this on face, hands, legs – leave it for 20 minutes and wash using warm water. Repeat 2 to 3 times a week or alternate days.
Remember: If adulterated and not well processed turmeric is used, it might give problem. People who have gall bladder problem should consult doctor before consuming turmeric. Honey is not recommended for children below age 1.
Grandma’s remedies: www.healthylife.werindia.com