As we age sometimes, we can have varicose veins. Varicose veins can appear during pregnancy or due to overweight. Varicose veins develop valves in the veins become weak. Function of the vein valves is to stop blood flowing backwards. When valves are weak, blood can pool in veins causing twist and swollen veins that are visible on skin surface in legs. Varicose veins might form when the blood pressure increases. If not addressed it can cause blood clot, bleeding and also skin ulcers.
There are several health tips and home remedies one can try to feel better if suffering from varicose veins. These are not alternative for surgery but, will help to soothe the leg pain.
- Often keep your leg elevated. This will help blood to flow in the veins.
- While sleeping keep legs elevated on a pillow to improve blood circulation.
- Massage legs using essential oil. Mix equal amount of lavender, coconut oil and sesame oil in a cup and massage in one direction.
- Heat few drops of castor oil and apply on leg and massage.
- Rubbing Calendula salve two to three times helps blood circulation.
- Avoid wearing high heel shoes. Wearing high heel shoes or foot wear increases strain on calves and interferes in blood circulation.
- Wear compression stockings to reduce pain and swelling.
- Do not wear tight fitting clothes that restrict blood flow. Wearing loose cloth will not interfere in blood circulation.
- Avoid standing for longer period. Take rest by sitting on a chair that supports your legs
- Some people have habit of crossing legs while sitting or sleeping. Avoid crossing legs as it can slow down blood circulation.
- Improve your calves strength by leg strengthening exercises. Climbing stair case is a good exercise.
- Consider losing excess weight. Overweight reduces blood circulation to legs.
- Horse chestnut extract helps to reduce heaviness, leg pain.
- Sea pine extract reduces edema and leg swelling. These two symptoms are associated wit varicose veins.
- Grape seed extract consumption helps to reduce swelling in legs. (not recommended for people who take blood thinning medicine)
- Consider including following food in your diet
- Green vegetables
- Foods that are rich in fiber like oats, wheat, whole grain foods, nuts are helpful for those who are overweight and to reduce varicose veins.
- Spinach, bell pepper, broccoli, onions, garlic, grapes, cherries, blueberries, apples contain flavonoids. These foods improve blood circulation and reduce blood pressure. It means blood vessels will not be strained and help in reducing varicose veins.
- Avoid processed foods, cakes, candies and cookies. Restrict on alcohol consumption and salty food. Salty food can increase heaviness in legs and cause edema that put strain on veins. Avoid refined carbohydrates and canned foods too. These foods can escalate the condition.
If varicose vein is bothering too much and unable to stand, walk or having difficulty to perform day to day activities then contact your doctor for further testing and treatment.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: May 14, 2021