Increase Appetite With These Remedies
A poor appetite or loss of appetite happens for various reasons. It could be due to lack of desire to eat, loss of taste, while recovering after a period of illness, anxiety etc. According to Ayurveda, a balance between vata and pitta doshas helps to keep normal appetite. A variation in the balance between these two doshas leads to loss of appetite.
When one suffers from loss of appetite for longer time, it could lead to malnutrition of the body or weight loss. If left untreated other health issues will appear.
Sometimes the loss of appetite could be due to medical conditions such as hepatitis, kidney failure, chronic liver condition, hypothyroidism, respiratory infection, meningitis etc. In such cases physicians will suggest what can be done to bring appetite back.
If the loss of appetite is due to conditions that are not related to severe medical conditions, then one can try many home remedies to bring back the lost appetite.
Following herbs and combination herbal ingredients and natural ingredients helps to bring back appetite – Indian gooseberry (Amla), asafetida, ajwain seeds, nutmeg, pomegranate, mustard, long pepper, coriander seeds, cardamom, cumin, fennel seeds, tamarind, ginger, black pepper. These herbs with combination of honey, black salt, black salt, rock salt, honey, buttermilk, curd will help to recover the lost appetite.
How to use these herbs?
- To one Tbsp Indian gooseberry (amla) powder add little salt and asafetida. Mix with curd or buttermilk and consume.
- Take few pieces of amla (fresh or dried), ½ tsp cumin seeds and black pepper. Add ½ tsp clarified butter and fry for few seconds. Add ½ cup coconut and salt -grind the contents. Add 1 cup buttermilk. You can either dilute and drink this or add one cup curd and mix with rice.
- Grind a mixture of 1 tsp each mustard seeds, ginger, cumin seeds, black salt and pinch of asafetida. Prepare fine powder. Mix the powder in a glass of buttermilk and drink.
- Prepare pomegranate juice (along with seeds), filter and add rock salt and little honey. Drink this juice to gain back taste and increases appetite.
- Take amla, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and long pepper – 3 parts of amla, 8 part of ginger and one part each of clove, long pepper and nutmeg. Grind the contents to make powder. Add sugar or jaggery to the mix. Consume twice a day till you get back appetite.
- Mix ½ tsp each of fennel seeds, coriander, cinnamon and cardamom. Soak the mix for few hours in a glass of water. Strain and drink this water infusion morning brings back appetite.
- Mix tamarind pulp with little jaggery, salt, asafetida and chili powder – prepare candy and consume.
- Extract tamarind juice add little salt and water– drink ¼ cup of this juice to build appetite. You can add few fennel seeds in this.
- Include fenugreek, turmeric ingredients in your meals to bring up your appetite
Daily Tips to increase appetite
- Consider eating six smaller meals than larger 3 meals
- Consider smaller portion of meals, trick your brain with smaller plates.
- Include healthy fats, proteins, and whole grains
- Do not skip breakfast as eating breakfast increases thermogenesis process
- Exercise regularly and have a scheduled mealtime
- Eat less fiber as fiber empties stomach fast.
- Drinking calorie rich smoothies and milkshakes might be interesting and might motivate your appetite
- Eat your favorite foods and include spices and herbs ingredients in food preparation
Image credit: https://pixabay.com/users/publicdomainpictures-14/ (Free for commercial use)
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: December 2, 2021
« Why barley is good for you Kadha recipe, Ayurvedic liquid to help throat and boost immunity »
Write a comment