Home Remedies to Help Prevent Asthma Symptoms
Asthma is a respiratory condition that makes breathing tough. An asthma attack is a result of an allergic reaction to dust, pollen, and other forms of hypersensitivity. It is marked by spasms in the lung’s bronchi.
It is important to strengthen the lungs and immune system to reduce asthma. There are many home remedies and Ayurveda remedies are available to reduce the asthma condition. Apart from these remedies practicing yoga and staying fit is critical for the body to fight asthma.
Home remedies for asthma symptoms prevention:
- To ¼ tsp dry ginger powder, add ¼ tsp pepper powder, ¼ tsp rock salt and about 5 -6 Holy Tulsi (Holy basil) leaves. Boil all the ingredients in 250 ml water and reduce the content to half. Drinking this during an asthma attack helps to reduce the severity and gives some relief.
- Grate one-inch ginger and boil in water. Drink this occasionally.
- Consume one tsp of lehya made of dates, raisin, honey, long pepper, and ghee with milk. This improves lung function.
- To reduce chest congestion, boil 3-4 garlic cloves in 250 mil milk. Drink this after cooling it down to room temperature.
- Applying and rubbing mustard oil on the chest will help to clear respiratory passage. Add camphor to slightly warmer mustard oil and mix well. Apply this on the chest as well as back. This helps to reduce asthma symptoms.
- Onion has anti-inflammatory properties and opens up the air passage. Eating raw onion or onion with honey is good for the lungs. Sulfur in onion decreases inflammation.
- Figs are known to promote lung health. Figs drain phlegm. Soak dried figs overnight in water and eat soaked figs in the morning on empty stomach. Drink the water.
- Ajwain or carom seeds is another remedy for asthma. Add one or two tsp of ajwain to boiling water and inhale the steam. It dilates the air passage and reduces spasm. Also, one heat ajwain seeds by wrapping them in cloth and keep them on the chest to get the benefit of ajwain.
- Vitamin C is essential for people who suffer from asthma. Include citrus fruits especially lemon in the diet. Add lemon juice, little sugar, and a pinch of salt to water and drink.
- Include blueberries in your diet.
- Drinking hot liquid helps too. Especially coffee which is a bronchodilator helps to relax the muscle and clears the phlegm. Drinking a small cup of strong coffee helps. (do not exceed the volume that you cannot handle). Hot water, herbal tea, or hot ginger-Tulsi tea are also options.
- Do not smoke, drink, avoid tobacco products.
- Honey and dry ginger powder are good for the lung. Honey is one of the oldest medicine that is recommended for stronger lungs.
- Eucalyptus oil is a decongestant. To boiling water add few drops of eucalyptus oil and inhale the steam. Adding few mint leaves, camphor to the boiling water also have added advantages to release nasal congestion and to ease breathing.
- Avoid soft drinks and other forms of soda
- Stay away from dust, pollen and keep the house clean. Avoid removing dust, cleaning carpet or furniture. Seek help from family members and stay away during cleaning.
- Avoid smelling essence, applying perfume or mosquito repellants. These will cause allergies.
- Stay away from strong chemical odors. Use less harsh and plant-based cleaning products.
- If you have a cat or any other pets, take precautions while you care for them.
- Go for regular walks in the morning hours. If it is pollen season wear a mask when you step out. Practice yoga asanas and be active as much as possible to keep up good health. Click here to know how to increase lung capacity.
An asthma attack needs immediate attention. Home remedies will help to improve breathing and reduces symptoms. Do not mix your prescription medicine with home remedies.
Image credit: Image by VIVIANE MONCONDUIT from Pixabay (free for commercial use)
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: June 18, 2021
« Grapeseed oil Helps to Improve Skin, Hair and Heart health Trikatu For Weight loss, Digestion and Overall Health »
Write a comment