For many traveling is a nightmare as they feel sick while traveling. Whether the traveling short or long distance, it could lead to tiredness, nausea and vomiting. Most time bus, flight, car or boat – any of these travel means cause health issues in people whose body is sensitive for traveling. Motion sickness is disturbance in the inner ear. Continuous motion while sitting in a seat (or vehicle) disturbs the inner ear. It results in sense of wooziness and sensory organs get mixed messages to brain causing nausea and dizziness. There are many remedies for motion sickness one can try before stepping out for travel.
Try these remedies:
- Eat less two hours before traveling. Don’t fill your stomach too much as traveling causes nausea and vomiting.
- Drink lemonade: Prepare lemonade at home with lemon juice, sugar or honey. If allowed carry lemonade with you in a bottle. It reduces nausea symptoms.
- Chew clove: Clove helps in controlling spasms and nausea. It also relieves lurching feeling. Keep one or two cloves in mouth and chew them. If you know you are going to get sick before traveling, get ready with clove in mouth and carry some more with you. It reduces the symptoms.
- Ginger: Ginger is very effective remedy for nausea and vomiting. It reduces dizziness, nausea and brings back stomach inflammation. It helps to reduce intestinal contractions by neutralizing stomach or digestive acids. It prevents the sickness. Before beginning journey eat half an inch ginger with little jaggery or honey. Carry ginger pieces or ginger powder with you. You can add powder to warm water and a spoon of honey (if available) and drink. Ginger candies are also helpful. Carry a bottle of ginger candies with you.
- Drink water: Carry a bottle of water and drink water to avoid dehydration in case you get sick.
- Another recipe is, for ¼ tsp of nutmeg powder, add 1 tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp of peppermint leave (dried) and mix with ¼ cup sesame or olive oil. Mix well and massage this mix on stomach, wrists, feet and forehead. Keep this mix while traveling with kids, as kids get motion sick very easy than adults.
- Chamomile tea: It helps to soothe stomach and relaxes body muscles. Drink one or two cups before your trip and if you get chamomile tea bag, carry few in your bag.
- Citrus fruit peels: Carry citrus fruits (lemon, orange, tangerine) fresh peels in a bag. Keep smelling them in between to get relief from nausea.
- Suck ice cubes: If you find ice cubes while traveling, keep few in a bottle and suck them to avoid dizziness and queasy feeling.
- Acupressure for wrists: Slowly apply pressure on your wrists. Place the index, middle and ring fingers of opposite hand on the inside of your wrist, starting under the crease for about five seconds. This therapy reduces headache and nausea.
- Beetle nut: Chew little beetle nut before traveling and carry some with you. Chewing beetle nut reduces sickness sensation in mouth and stomach.
- Orange candies: Chewing orange or citrus candies will help too. Buy a pack of candies and keep with you.
For many modes of travel might also can cause sickness.
While traveling in bus or car: Do not read books or look at phone. Focus on horizon. Keep head still and let the air vent turn towards your face. If possible, sit in the front seat or behind driver seat.
Air traveling: Do not eat too much, ask for vegetarian or vegan food. Try to sleep as much as possible. Request for a seat near the wing area.
On boat: Ask for upper deck and front of ship. Keep your eyes focused on horizon. Avoid looking at water. Do not sit facing backwards from your travel direction.
Carry extra carry bags or brown bags in case of emergency – like while traveling if you cannot control vomiting, you must be able to throw up comfortably while sitting in your seat and before making a mess.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: November 22, 2019