Cold season started and so also sore throat. Instead of suffering from sore throat why can’t try some simple home remedies?
Grandma’s few tips for sore throat and congestion are:
- Mix 1⁄4 teaspoon salt in 1 cup warm water. Use the hottest water you can comfortably tolerate and gargle several times a day.
- Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice in 1 cup water. The astringent juice will help shrink swollen throat tissue and create a hostile environment for viruses and bacteria.
- 1 teaspoon each of powdered ginger and honey, 1⁄2 cup of hot water, and the juice of 1⁄2 squeezed lemon. Pour the water over the ginger, then add the lemon juice and honey, and gargle. Honey coats the throat and also has mild antibacterial properties.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into 1 cup of hot water and gargle.
- Add 1 to 3 teaspoons of powdered or ground cloves to water, then mix and gargle.
- For temporary relief of sore throat symptoms, gargle with a mixture of 1/2 cup tomato juice and 1/2 cup hot water, plus about 10 drops hot pepper sauce.
- Take a clove or two of garlic and chew them, letting the juice get into the back of your throat, then swallow.
- Drink Cinnamon and Honey Tea: Cinnamon has been used medicinally for thousands of years. Add 1 tablespoon powdered cinnamon (or several sticks of cinnamon bark) and 2 cloves to 8 oz of boiling water. Steep, covered, for 20 minutes, then uncover and cool slightly. Add honey and lemon to taste. Drink 1 to 3 cups a day.
- Ginger Tea: Ginger is great for inflammation, cold and sore throat. To make ginger tea, mix 1 tablespoon grated ginger in 8 oz of boiling water. Steep, covered, for 10 minutes, then strain the tea into another cup.
- Malabar spinach: Chew few fresh and tender leaves of spinach – wash before using it.
- Jaggery: Boil water with black pepper, add cumin and add jaggery to it. It will give you relief from chest congestion and soreness.
- Amla juice: Freshly prepared 20-30 ml of amla juice can be consumed every day. Use warm water to prepare juice and add more water if you don’t like the bitterness.
- Boiled carrots: Boil the carrots and eat 2 -3 times a day. This is a great health booster too!
- Ghee and boiled rice water: Do not throw rice porridge water. Instead add ghee and drink. This gives a great relief for throat.