After delivery along with baby new mother also needs care. All the pain and body changes take a toll on mother’s health. It might result in back pain, joint pain and body aches. For such post delivery conditions traditional remedies works. Fenugreek (methi) lehyam and uluva halwa are popular post delivery care home remedies for nursing mother’s body aches and pain. This can also be consumed by those who is suffering from chronic pains and inflammation.
There are two different recipes based on the ingredients : Simple mehti lehyam and Methi halwa or uluva halwa
Simple methi lehyam recipe:
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Ghee – ½ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Wash and soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Remove water and grind soaked seeds to paste
- On medium heat place a vessel and add grinded fenugreek paste and water, stir continuously till the paste cooks.
- Add ghee and continue mixing for few more minutes
- Add jaggery and mix well till the whole mix separates from bottom of vessel.
- Allow the leham mix to cool and transfer to an airtight container.
Consume this one or two tsp morning and night with warm milk or water.
Uluva halwa / Mehti halwa recipe:
- Fenugreek – ½ cup
- Jaggery powder – 1 cup
- Coconut – ½ cup
- Rice flour – 1.5 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Mustard – 1tsp
- Turmeric- 1.5 tsp
- Rock salt or Himalyan salt – little
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight
- Remove water and grind it to paste
- Grate fresh coconut and grind with little water. Strain and collect coconut milk from grinded coconut
- In a vessel dissolve rice flour in little water and keep aside
- Now, grind cumin, mustard, pepper, turmeric with salt to a paste. If you like ginger you can add little ginger for taste.
- On medium heat place a vessel add fenugreek paste and slowly start stirring it.
- Add coconut milk, rice flour and jaggery powder and slowly mix
- After couple of minutes add grinded spice mix and continue stirring
- Continue mixing till the content turns somewhat black – green color and separates from the vessel
- Apply ghee on inside of a plate and transfer the hot halwa mix onto the plate. Spread it evenly and cut into small pieces.
- Consuming one or two pieces everyday helps to get rid of back pain and body aches.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: August 21, 2018