Next time, before throwing watermelon seeds collect and use them for your health benefits. Because, watermelon seeds are powerhouse of many nutrients and is provides many health benefits. There are different ways to consume watermelon seeds. One can use them in different ways based on their health need.
Watermelon seeds has several health benefits
- Sprouted seeds contain high amount of protein. It helps to increase metabolism.
- Watermelon seed oil is good for skin and hair. It has light texture and is a good moisturizer. It contains vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids.
- It is a good detoxifying agent and can be added to green tea.
- As it contains good amount of protein, can be included in protein diet for weight loss.
- Good food for diabetes
- Boosts immune system and good for heart health
- Seed oil good remedy for dark circles and for hyperpigmentation.
- It contains Vit A, B and E along with linoleic acid, oleic acid – all are good for our skin health. It is known as antiaging oil and reduces wrinkle.
How to use watermelon seeds? Some people prefer using seeds with shells. One can remove shells after sun drying by using a rolling pin. One can boil seeds for couple of minutes and pour in cold water. Boiling process causes shells to fall off.
Different ways to use watermelon seeds are below:
- Roasted seeds: Roast watermelon seeds and salt seeds. To roast spread seeds on baking pan and roast at 350 F for about 45 minutes. Spray bit of cooking oil and salt. If you like spicy seeds add little turmeric, asafetida and chilli powder. Mix well. After cooling store in air tight container.
- Sprouted seeds: Soak seeds for about 8 hours and transfer to muslin cloth. Tie the cloth and sprinkle water. Store in a dark place for 2 to 3 days. Take out sprouted seeds and dehydrate before adding to salad. Between roasted and sprouted seeds, sprouted is better for health. Sometimes too much heat can take away nutrients from the seeds.
- Sun dry and eat: After washing Sun dry the seeds for few days. Consume dry seeds 1 or 2 Tbsp alternate days is good for health
- Sprinkle on salad: Sprinkle sun dried seeds on salads and consume
- With rice: Add roasted seeds to veg fried rice
- Powdered seeds: Prepare powder from dried seeds and mix with smoothies. Add to tea and consume.
- Edible oil: Watermelon seed oil is edible too and can be added to salad and curries.
- Add as a carrier oil: While using essential oil one can use watermelon seed oil as career oil. To any 8 to 12 drops essential oil add about ½ cup watermelon seed oil. For example, for 10 drops of rosemary oil add ½ watermelon seed oil and massage on scalp for hair growth.
- To apply on skin : Mix few drops of watermelon seed oil with turmeric powder and honey. Apply this on skin (face). Leave for 10 to 15 minutes and wash face using warm water. This also reduces hyperpigmentation.
- Apply to scalp: Massage scalp using watermelon seed oil. It gives a sleek look and is less greasy look to hair. It improves hair health.
Next time instead of seedless watermelon, buy seeded watermelon and try using them.
Image credit: https://www.needpix.com/photo/1591825/fruit-food-watermelon-juicy-healthy-background-bright-closeup-delicious
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: August 13, 2018