Many of us often experience kind of tension, pain, and sensation in shoulder area. Shoulder pain can stop us doing many works and it will make it difficult to move the hands easily. If not taken care, we can end up not using the hands properly which could cause more problem as we age.
One need not to take pain killers to get rid of the shoulder pain as it could only give temporary relief and mask pain for some time. To release shoulder pain and tightness, there are shoulder stretches. Practicing these stretches every day for minimum three times will help to get rid of the pain and shoulder also will start regaining the strength.
Some of the tips to for healthy shoulders are:
- Keep body hydrated before exercising
- Practice good posture, avoid hunching or slouching while walking, sitting, or standing
- If body feels pain, give attention to the pain. Take some time off from activities
Following Five simple shoulder stretches will ease and relax the painful shoulders.
A. Wall climb:
- Stand straight facing the wall.
- Extend right arm and place the hand on the wall at shoulder height. Do not lock the elbow, keep it soft.
- Now slowly walk the fingers upward on the wall. While climbing the fingers up, step forward towards wall as finger climb up.
- Stop the movement when you feel tension in the shoulder. Now, hold the pose for 20-30 seconds.
- Walk fingers back down the wall slowly and return to initial position.
- Repeat the same movement on left hand.
B. Chest and shoulder stretch:
- Stand alongside of a door. Extend and put right hand on the edge of the door frame Palm should face forward and touch the door frame.
- Keep shoulders down and slowly turn the body to the left and away from door frame. You should feel the stretch on shoulder and chest. Hold the pose for 20-30 seconds.
- Repeat on the left side.
C. Cross arm stretch:
- Stand straight with feet hip distance apart. Place right hand on left shoulder.
- Hold your right elbow using left hand. Rolling shoulders down and back, gently pull the right elbow across the chest. You will feel stretch in the shoulder.
- Hold the pose for 20-30 seconds and repeat the stretch on left side.
D. Rotation shoulder stretch:
- Stand straight with feet hip distance apart.
- Slowly take right hand back and place it against the small of the back, near the waist. Fingers should point up (half namaste style)
- Now, slightly slide the right hand up on the back, when you feel stretch and slight pain in the shoulder, stop and hold the hand for about 30 seconds. You can grasp wrist of right hand using left hand and gently pull right hand up and down and across.
- Release the hand and repeat the stretch on left hand side.
E. Triceps stretch:
1.Place on arm behind the head with elbow bent and facing the ceiling.
2. Using opposite hand hold the elbow and gently it towards the opposite hand. To give some more stretch all the way back, slowly bend the upper body away -towards opposite side.
3. You should feel the stretch in the back of the upper arm and the shoulder. 4. Hold this for about 15-30 seconds.
5. Repeat this exercise with other hand.
Shoulder pain is something no one should neglect. Taking care of the shoulder pain will help over the years. Practicing these exercises will help shoulders and hands to increase flexibility as well as strength.
Contact your doctor if the shoulder pain increases and you might need physical therapy assistance to get rid of the pain.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: March 26, 2021