For many people falling asleep is almost impossible. People wake up inbetween the sleep with a disturbed mind for no reason. Or the stressful life also can be a reason for this. Improper sleep affects days to day life in a negative way and can cost married life, jobs or even can cause death. Following healthy sleep habits can make the difference between restlessness and restful slumber. Here are few tips to get a good night sleep.
1) Have something light for dinner and let there be 3 hours time between dinner and bed time. Do not go to bed in empty stomach.
2) If you feel hungry before going to bed eat a very light snack – even half cup of cereal would be good.
3) Go to bed everyday almost at same time. Never oversleep or do not avoid sleeping.
4) Stop all loud noises at home. Listen to some soft music or read a simple short and happy ending story.
5) Do not watch television or any crime show before going to bed. Not only the TV rays affect the brain but also the noise, troubling stories will cause more trouble to go to sleep.
6) Place a humidifier if you feel dry in your throat and nose. This reduces snoring and possible sleep apnea (due to dryness)
7) Move away all heavy and light electronics near your bed – keep your phone in low volume.
8) Do not work on laptop, tablets or smart phones sitting on the bed. Any blue rays from your phone also affects your sleep. Also electronic gadgets disturbs your sleep – mind becomes active and sleep cycle get disturbed.
9) Do not drink any caffeinated drink after 6 PM. Do not drink too much water at least an hour before going to bed.
10) Think about those stuffs, people, things that bring smile on your face and go to bed
11) Meditation helps you to relax and calm down – try to meditate at least for couple of minutes
12) Practice slow breathing for a minute or two.
13) If you are a yoga person – refer to yoga poses that helps you to sleep.
14) Think about the one positive (or more than one) thing (incident) that has happened to you in the course of the day.
15) Exercise vigorously in the morning hours that make your body little tired. Vigorous exercise is best, but even light exercise is better than no activity.
16) Sleep on a comfortable pillows and mattress. Your body should not ache next day morning or neck should not be stiff. Both pillow and mattress should be comfortable and supportive.
17) Keep your circadian rhythm under control – do not expose yourself to too bright light in the night. Use Sunlight to wake up in the morning. Keep your alarm clock away – people have a tendency to look at the clock – a habit that disturbs the sleep.
18) Wear proper clothing – do not wear very tight clothes. One should feel comfortable with the clothes they wear – pajamas and other night dresses preferably cotton dresses are good for the body.
19) If you want to nap in the afternoon, keep it to short – 10 to 20 minutes. Prolonged afternoon sleeps disturbs your peaceful night sleep. Take an early nap – not late.
20) If you have leg pain – try to elevate the leg slightly. If you have back pain put a pillow between your legs to align your hips better and stress your low back less.
21) Make sure the temperature in the bed room is comfortable for your body – The best sleep temperature for most people is between 68-72 degrees.
22) Dim all lights around your home 2 to 3 hours before bedtime. Lower light levels signal your brain to make melatonin, the hormone that brings on sleep.
23) Do not smoke before going to bed – nicotine excites the body and mind. If you are suffering from insomnia, insomnia can become worse.
Lack of sleep for several days can be dangerous and will affect the health severely. If you or your loved ones are suffering from this condition, do not forget to contact your doctor.
Image: Earth by google
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: January 19, 2016