Belching is nothing but passing gas which is common in humans. If one has excessive belching with bloating, distention and pain then it can be due to serious problem of health.
If interferes with your daily activities and if you see blooded stool, severe pain that means you need to see your doctor and need medical attention.
Belching or burping is phenomenon of expelling excess air from upper digestive tract. It is caused by swallowing excess air. Air accumulates in esophagus.
Causes for excessive belching and burping
1. Eating or drinking too quickly can cause one to swallow too much air. This excess air need to be released and belching and burping is one solution for the body to release excess air.
- It can also be a sign of digestive conditions that need physician attention. It also can be due to dlayed gastric emptying and due to peptic ulcer.
- In some cases gallstones and gallblaer problem can cause burping, belching.
Flatulence is the accumulation or buildup of gas in the intestine. It is typically caused by digestion or fermentation of undigested food – especially high fiber and certain sugars by bacteria that is found in colon. Digestive disorder, constipation, poor absorption of carbohydrates, change in bacteria in small intestine, food residue in the color are all the reasons for flatulence and burping.
When to see doctor?
If the burping is persistent and accompanied by nausea, bloody stools, weight loss, fever and pain one should consult doctor to act.
How to prevent belching and burping?
- Eat and drink slowly
- While chewing food, avoid talking
- Avoid hard candies.
- Cut down on carbonated drinks and also beer – these drinks release carbond dioxide that worsens sytmptioms of belching
- Stop smoking, as smoking results in excessive air inside the body
- Dentures should be well fitted – check them
- While drinking avoid straw, instead directly drink from glass
- Avoid chewing gum
- Keep moving – short walk or 30 minutes’ walk after eating helps to reduce burping.
To avoid flatulence :
- Eliminate certain food in your daily diet – beans, lentils, cabbage, broccoli, mushroom, beer and carbonated drinks to name a few. Try removing one food at a time and see changes in health.
- Eat few fatty food and eat slowly
- Temporarily cut back on high fiber food as they are great source of gas.
- Read labels when you buy packed food. Certain indigestible carbohydrate in sugar free foods like sorbitol, mannitol and xylitol may increase gas production.
Symptoms of belching and burping can be embarrassing. But, embarrassment should not keep you away from taking precautions and acting on it. If you need help see your doctor.
Image courtesy: Photo by Jarritos Mexican Soda on Unsplash
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: December 14, 2018