“A report found that if US adults over the age of 55 with heart disease took psyllium dietary fiber daily, it could save nearly $4.4 billion a year – and more than $35 billion in cumulative health care costs between 2013 and 2020. The report estimated that it costs just 30 cents per day to take psyllium fiber at “preventive intake levels,” and noted that it helps support healthy cholesterol levels by inhibiting its absorption in your intestine”.
You would have heard a lot about Isabgol – a wonderful home remedy for people who suffer from constipation. In India Isabgol is sold in the market and many household will have bottle of isabgol handy. Elders in house definitely will like it, as they cannot withstand any kind of gastro-intestinal problem, particularly the constipation.
What exactly is Isabgol?
Isabgol is a plant product – plant name is Psyllium. It is one of the nature’s highest soluble fiber obtained from seeds of Plantago ovata (Isabgol). Seed husk of psyllium is commonly known as isabgol. It contains 70 percent soluble fiber and, as a result, acts as a bulk-forming laxative. The effectiveness of isabgol largely depends on your individual health needs and the manner in which you take it.
Apart from use in digestion problems isabgol has many other medicinal properties. Generally, isabgol works by absorbing liquid and swelling in the intestines to create a softer, bulky stool that is easier to pass.
1. Constipation: The fiber present in husk has hygroscopic property, which means it is capable of attracting and binding water molecules. This helps to facilitate the gut motility and digestive functioning.
Take a glass of warm milk or water, add 2 tbs of Isabgol, mix and drink at night before going to bed. Morning motion will be easy and clears the system.
2. Treating Diarrhea :Mixing curd and isabgol helps in controlling the diarrhea. Probiotics-rich curd or yogurt provides stomach support- probiotic nature helps in healing of stomach infections. Whereas, isabgol helps in relieving the diarrhea by adding more bulk fiber to the runny stools and makes it somewhat hard.
Take 3tbs fresh curd, add 2 tbs isabgol and mix. Take this after dinner. For effective results, take this mix twice a day till recovery period.
3. Detoxification,Weight loss: Isabgol improves the activity of gastrointestinal tract by improving the motility of the gut. This happens when the hygroscopic husk binds to the waste, which is sitting in colon. It acts as a colon cleanser and detoxifies the body. Consumed with water prior to meals, reduces consumption of fat and calories.
Add lemon juice and isabgol to warm water and drink half an hour before the meal.
4. Protecting Heart : Isabgol absorbs more water soluble fatty substances from the body. Often it attacks the cholesterol present in the body and breaks down cholesterol which later flushes out of the body. The fiber present in isabgol restricts the fat amount in the blood and protects the heart. Isabgol also helps to prevent heart attacks by regulating the serum cholesterol.
A report found that if US adults over the age of 55 with heart disease took psyllium dietary fiber daily, it could save nearly $4.4 billion a year – and more than $35 billion in cumulative health care costs between 2013 and 2020. The report estimated that it costs just 30 cents per day to take psyllium fiber at “preventive intake levels,” and noted that it helps support healthy cholesterol levels by inhibiting its absorption in your intestine.
After meal take half spoon of isabgol in warm water.
5. For Acidity : Hygroscopic effect of Isabgol helps to protect the stomach layer that usually affected by high acidity. Isabgol also increases digestion and decreases constipation and thus controls secretion of stomach acid. Isabgol helps to prevent lethargy caused by acidity and gives a feeling of well being and good health.
To half glass of cold milk add 2 tbs of isabgol. Mix and drink after lunch and dinner.
6. For Diabetics : The gelatinous structure of isabgol is due to gelatin molecules. These gelatin molecules restrict the absorption of dietary sugar (glucose). This helps in control of sugar in diabetic patients.
Take isabgol with water just after completing your meal.
For diabetic patients: Consult your physician before taking isabgol.
7. Curing Piles and Fissures : Because of its friendly effect on digestive system and gastro-intestinal system consuming isabgol once a while makes it easier to pass the stool. People who suffer from piles and fissure feels it easy to pass stool when they take isabgol.
Dissolve one tbs of isabgol in a glass of warm water and have before going to bed.
Disclaimer: Do not over-consume isabgol. Before taking isabgol talk to your physician or nutritionist. stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting; trouble swallowing; ora sudden change in bowel habits lasting longer than 2 week. It is not for pregnant women or for lactating women.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: April 11, 2016