Shashankaasana also known as Rabbit pose is a beautiful stretch that helps to improve blood circulation to brain and face. It is one of the beginners pose, easy to perform but gives tremendous benefits to body.
How to perform Shashankaaasana?
1. Sit straight in Vajrasana with hands on the thighs.
2. Inhale and raise both arms above head
3. While exhaling bend upper body.
4. Keep your back straight while bending forward.
5. Keep bending till your forehead and arms touch the floor. Your buttocks remain on heels.
6. Bring both arms next to your hips as shown in image. Relax neck, arms and shoulders.
7. Slowly inhale and exhale in this position for about 5 breaths. While breathing consciously perceive the breath into spine.
8. Inhale and slowly return to initial Vajrasana position.
9. Repeat this for 3 to 5 times.
Benefits of Shashankaasana:
• Improves blood supply to head and face.
• Improves brain functions and helps in focusing
• Blood circulation to face helps in improving skin complexion and gives clear skin.
• It is a recommended pose to overcome depression and anxiety.
• Slow breathing while bending helps digestive organs to perform better.
• Back muscles and spine both feel better if you are suffering from back ache.
• Reduces abdominal fat and tones abdomen area
If you have knee pain, pinched lower back you might find it uncomfortable to perform this pose.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: February 14, 2019