Toxic squash syndrome of cucurbits

Toxic squash syndrome of cucurbits

Have you heard about Toxic squash syndrome? Not all cucurbits are poisonous.

Sometimes cucumber or some squash varieties may taste bitter because of the stress that plant goes through during growth.

Lack of temperature or water or due to cross pollination can result in bitter fruit.

Bitterness is because of compound called cucurbitacins.  If you taste the bitterness after eating cucumbers and it is very unpleasant and nasty, spit it out and stop eating it as it can cause severe illness and side effects.

Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and severe hair loss are some of the symptoms of illness and side effect  of toxic squash syndrome.

In case your garden there are volunteer cucumber, zucchini or acorn squash avoid eating them as they are not familiar plants and not grown by you.

Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: July 5, 2021

Recommended for you

Write a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow us on Facebook