The `Japanese food guide spinning top´ is designed to resemble the well-known traditional Japanese toy. It is a rotating inverted cone divided from the top down into food group layers that depict foods primarily in cooked form /dishes. The order of the food groups is given by the recommended daily servings. At the top there are grain-based dishes , followed by vegetable-based dishes , and fish, eggs and meat dishes. At the bottom are milk and fruit. A person running on top of the gyrating spinning top represents the importance of doing physical activity regularly to enjoy good health. The guide also recommends drinking plenty of water or tea, and to moderate consumption of highly processed snacks, confectionary and sugar-sweetened beverages. Guidelines include:
- Enjoy your meals and track your daily food intake
- Establish a healthy rhythm by keeping regular hours for meals.
- Eat well-balanced meals with staple food, as well as main and side dishes.
- Eat enough grains such as rice and other cereals.
- Combine vegetables, fruits, milk products, beans and fish in your diet.
- Avoid too much salt and fat.
- Maintain a healthy body weight and balance the calories you eat with physical activity.
- Take advantage of your dietary culture and local food products, while incorporating new and different dishes.
- Reduce leftovers and waste through proper cooking and storage methods.