It is a must try Kashaya.
Indian Sarsaparilla is also known as Maahali, Haaluballi (Kannada), Nannari (Telugu), Kshrini (Hindi). Roots are very fragrant and has medicinal properties.
It is used for making Ayurvedic medicines. Pickles prepared using root is very tasty and sold in the market.
- Sarsaparilla root – few pieces
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Milk – 1 cup (optional)
- Jaggery – 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice – Optional
- Wash and crush sarsaparilla root.
- Boil water and add jaggery, followed by crushed sarsaparilla root.
- After a minute add black pepper (crushed)
- Continue boiling for few more minutes. Liquid releases good aroma.
- Turn off heat and strain the liquid. Add boiled milk OR little lemon juice and drink.
It is a blood cleanser. Helps to reduce swelling in joints, stomach ache and diarrhea. Increases appetite and helps digestive system. Induces perspiration and helps to reduce fever.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 11, 2018