A traditional kootu is a healthy curry and is a very delicious dish made with vegetables, coconut, chillies and cumin seeds. Koottu is generally served with white rice, puri and chapati.
- Different vegetable or single vegetable like bottle gourd
- Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
- Red chilli- 2 – 3
- Grated Coconut -3 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds -3/4 tsp
- Cook the Moong Dal in a Vessel with 2-3 cups of water and Turmeric.
- In Another Vessel cook the vegetables with turmeric, curry leaves and sufficient water.
- Grind the Coconut, cumin and Chillies to a fine paste
- Cooked Dal and Vegetables mix together along with the ground paste
- Boil this Mixtures well and Add Salt to Taste
- Heat oil in Pan, add urad dal, mustard seeds and red chilly pieces. When the mustard starts to splutter, add curry leaves
- Pour this seasoning on Kootu.
- Kootu is ready to serve with puri, chapati or rice.
Image courtesy: www.kamalascorner.com