Recipe by: Mrs. Mamatha Anil @http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.com/
About author: Mamatha Anil lives in Bengaluru, Karnataka. Born and brought up in Sringeri, a beautiful place situated in Western Ghats – Mamatha is very much familiar with traditional and contemporary cooking. She has a MS degree in Applied Botany from Mangalore University and is very much interested in medicinal plants, gardening, cooking and interior decoration. She is also an expert in crochet work and is a very good painter. During her stay in USA, Mamatha has experimented with various ethnicity cooking and one can see her excellent recipes in her blog Bhakshya Bhojana. Expect more from Mamatha here in Healthylife columns.
Beans are nutritional powerhouses packed with protein, fiber, B vitamins, iron, potassium, and are low in fat. Studies have shown that these legumes reduces risk of heart conditions, reduces cancer risk, lowers cholesterol and good for diabetic patients. Beans are rich source of proteins for vegetarians. Here is a curry recipe that has 15 different beans !
Serving size: 1 cup, Calories :120. Quantity mentioned below is sufficient for four people.
15 bean 1 cup ( I got the 15 bean pack from Wal-Mart which contains 15 different varieties of beans- Northern bean, pinto bean, large lima bean, yellow bean, baby lima bean, garbanzo bean, green split pea, kidney bean, cranberry bean, small white bean, pink bean, small red bean, yellow split pea, white kidney bean, black bean)
1. Coconut (grated) ½ cup
2. Onion medium size 1
3. Tomato medium size 1
4. Red chilli powder ½ tsp
5. Coriander powder ½ tsp
6. Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
7. Green chillies 3-4
8. Tamarind grape size
9. Ginger small piece
10. Garlic 3-4 cloves
11. Cashew 3-4
12. Clove 2
13. Cinnamon small piece
14. Peppercorn 2-3
15. Poppy seeds ¼ tsp
16. Cumin seeds ¼ tsp
17. Mint leaves (chopped) ½ cup
18. Cilantro/Coriander leaves (chopped) ½ cup
1. Wash and soak the beans overnight.
2. Soak the tamarind in little water and filter it.
3. Pressure cook the soaked beans with little salt and water. (4-5 whistle)
4. Heat oil in a frying pan and add cloves, cinnamon and peppercorns. Add cashews and cumin seeds fry them. Add split green chillies fry them. Add chopped ginger, garlic and onion fry them till transparent. Add poppy seeds. Add chopped mint. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Add grated coconut and fry. Finally add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and switch off the stove. Let it cool. Grind them into smooth paste with tamarind water.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds. Pour the ground paste; add ½-cup water and little salt. Let it boil. Once it starts boiling, add chopped tomato and cook for few minutes. Add cooked beans and cook for 5 minutes in low to medium heat.
6. 15 bean curry is ready. It goes well with Poori, Chapati, Roti and Rice.
Image and recipe: http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.com/
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: February 8, 2016