Before jackfruit season gets over, enjoy an evening snack prepared with jackfruit pulp and potato. This fritter recipe is good for rainy season and a good snack goes well with evening coffee or tea.
Jackfruit is one of the important fruit and is considered as super fruit. It is considered in recipes as a meat replacement and hence is vegan friendly. Know more about jackfruit here.
Do you know? Adding asafetida and ginger in potato recipes will reduce gas and bloating.
Jackfruit-potato bonda recipe
- Raw jackfruit pulp – 10
- Potato – 5
- Onion- 2
- Coriander – 1 cup chopped
- Green chili – 2-3
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp grated
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – as per taste
- Besan – 2 cups
- Chili powder – 1 to 2 tsp
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Oil – for deep frying
- Remove seed from the jackfruit pulp. Boil jackfruit pulp in pressure cooker (one whistle is enough). Select jackfruit that is small in size with smaller pulps inside. Do not cut jackfruit pulp as you need to fill the potato -onion mix.
- Boil potato and smash.
- Cut onion, green chili and prepare seasoning. Place a pan on medium heat and add oil. To heated oil add mustard, cumin, urad daal, curry leaves, cut green chili followed by onion and chopped coriander. Add little salt and saute for few minutes (until onion cooks).
- Mix smashed potato with sauted onion mix.
- Take out boiled jackfruit pulp and fill potato-onion mix. Keep aside,
- Mix besan powder, red chili, asafetida, little cumin and salt. Add sufficient amount of water to prepare besan batter (it should not be too thin, should be pakora consistency)
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat.
- Dip individual potato-onion mix filled jackfruit pulp in besan mix and drop slowly in hot oil and deep fry.
- Remove well fried jackfruit-potato bonda from oil and transfer to paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot jackfruit-potato bonda with your choice of chutney, ketch up and coffee/tea.
Image credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/652951645985866599/
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: May 23, 2022