Eat Ginger Pak To Stay Away From Cold And Cough
Ayush ministry of India is strongly suggesting people to consume ginger burfi to stay away from cold, cough and flu like symptoms. Ginger burfi also known as adrak ka burfi or ginger pak is made of jaggery and ginger with other ingredients that are good for health.
“Ardraka Paka is a delicious & nutritious snack that helps in improving appetite & digestion. It is also useful in prevention & management of sore throat, cold & cough.#Ayush #AmritMahotsav” -Ayush ministry.
Barring couple of ingredients (like naagkesar, vidanga) all other ingredients are available easily in the market. Both naagkesar and vidanga are also available in herbal market, Ayurveda stores and availbal online. One can prepare the burfi without these two ingredients. Adding both the ingredients has added benefits as both are medicinal and good for health. Ginger burfi helps in improving appetite and digestion. It is useful in preventing and managing sore throat, cold and cough.
Ginger burfi can be prepared easily at home. Here is Ayush ministry’s health reciepe-
- Ginger (grated) – 250 gm
- Jaggery – 250 gm
- Clarified butter (Ghee) – 125 gm
- Dry ginger powder – 25 gm
- Cumin – 25 gm
- Black pepper – 25 gm
- Naagkesar (Mesua ferrea), if available – 25 gm (optional)
- Cardamom – 25 gm
- Cinnamon – 25 gm
- Indian bay leaf – 25 gm
- Long pepper – 25 gm
- Coriander powder – 25 gm
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes), if available – 25 gm (optional)
- In a heavy bottom pan add jaggery, on low heat with very little water prepare thick syrup.
- To jaggery syrup add grated ginger, stir and cook for 5-7 minutes on low flame.
- Add ghee and mix well, cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the powder of all above ingredients and cook for another 5-10 minutes
- Turn off heat and spread the content on plate greased with ghee.
- Let it cool before cutting in pieces.
- After cooling store burfi pieces in an air tight container. It remains for about a month.
Precaution: Because it is hot in nature, it may be taken in appropriate quantity and never in empty stomach. Best to avoid in acid peptic disorders.
Image credit: Image by Jerzy Górecki from Pixabay
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 24, 2022
« Broken wheat Pongal And Gotsu Recipes Valentine’s Day Dessert Walnut Fig Halwa »
Write a comment