Cabbage is one vegetable that is often overlooked despite being nutritious. There are different varieties of cabbage – green, white, red, purple etc. Cabbage head is useful in prepare sauerkraut, kimchi, spicy curry, vegetable rice, fritters etc. It contains several different minerals and vitamins. It is recommended source for insoluble fiber which is gut friendly and helps in digestion process. It helps in weight loss. Eating raw or cooked cabbage both have similar effect on digestive system and improves bowel movement. Cabbage is good for heart health and keeps blood pressure under check. There are different ways one can consume cabbage. Cabbage rice is a tasty dish one can pack for lunch or have at dinner.
Cabbage rice recipe
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves -2
- Cardamom – 2
- Tomato – chopped -1/3 cup
- Green peas – 2 Tbsp
- Onion – chopped – 1/3 cup
- Indian baby leaf – 1
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Cabbage- 1.5 cup
- Ginger, garlic, green chilli paste- 1Tbsp
- Cilantro – chopped -1/4 cup
- Rinse and soak Basmati rice for about half an hour. Drain and keep aside
- Pressure cook rice by adding 1.5 cup water
- Grate cabbage and get ready with garlic, ginger green chili paste.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat. Add cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and baby leaf. Saute for few minutes – let the fragrance release
- Add chopped onions and continue frying till onion turns translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few more minutes
- Add chopped tomatoes, peas and garam masala powder – continue frying. Let the tomatoes turn soft and oil release from side
- Now, add shredded cabbage and mix the masala. Sprinkle salt. Stir fry cabbage. Alternatively you can microwave cabbage for 2-3 mins
- Add cooked Basmati rice and mix well. Garnish with chopped cilantro
- Serve cabbage rice with raita or palak daal.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: July 19, 2019