These below remedies are for most common ailments that one can suffer in day-to-day life. For many of these ailments we don’t need to see doctors immediately. Many of these remedies does wonderful work and reduces the ailments. If the condition does not improve for 3 days then, see your family physician.
Ginger juice mixed with honey is one of the most common remedy advised by grandmother for cough.
- Take a piece of ginger and remove the skin
- Extract the juice using a mixer grinder.
- Leave this extract undisturbed for about ten to fifteen minutes
- Drain out the juice.
- You will find a white paste-like deposit at the bottom. Discard this deposit.
- Mix a spoonful of honey (or sugar) and drink.
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice from one half into a cup. Studies show that vitamin C taken before the onset of a cold shortens its duration and severity. Drop the lemon half shell into the cup.
- Add boiling water and a teaspoon of organic raw honey, an immunity booster that also coats painful throat tissues.
- Breathe in the healing vapor to open sinuses, and sip a cupful two or three times daily to fight the bug.
- If fever is high continuously, apply cold pad on forehead. This reduces fever and it will not reach brain.
- To induce sweating prepare hot a cup of hot ginger tea. To make the tea, steep a half-teaspoon minced gingerroot in 1 cup just-boiled water. Strain, then drink.
- To make you sweat and increase blood circulation use hot peppers. All you need to do is if cayenne pepper is available sprinkle a bit on your foods when you have a fever. One of its main components is capsaicin, the alarmingly hot ingredient that is found in hot peppers.
- Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water a day or enough to make your urine pale. Drink lots of fluid. Avoid caffeine and caffeinated drinks.
- Instead of heavy food, consume rice porridge, barley water with little clarified butter or ghee. This gives strength to body. On the side have lemon pickle. Make sure to remove the spice and consume pickled lemons with porridge.
- To gain strength have fresh orange juice.
- Apply garlic paste mixed with coconut oil or olive oil under the feet. Wrap the feet using a old cotton cloth or gauze. Leave this for few hours. Do not leave the mix if there is growing irritation or too much burning sensation.
- Drink hot soups with little butter.
- Drink hot peppermint tea to get good sleep and reduce muscle ache.
- Boil few holy basil or Tulsi leaves in a cup of water until the solution becomes half. Regular consumption of this drink for 2-3 days is very good remedy for fever.
In most cases it is better to allow fever to go through its courses. If the fever persists more than 4-5 days then contact your doctor – grandma suggests.
An age old grandma’s home remedy for sinus is an oil bath.
1) Boil 2 cups of water, add one tsp of turmeric, one inch of ginger, pinch of asafetida. Inhale steam of this by covering and hovering using a towel. You will get good sinus relief.
2) Mix few drops of garlic oil and eucalyptus oil. Inhale the odor and get relief.
3) Stir up a concoction of equal quantities of lemon juice and horseradish. Eat one teaspoonful of this mixture an hour before you eat breakfast. Well, grandma says you should have courage to taste horseradish!
4) Dip a small clean towel in hot water. Wring it out and place it over your sinuses. Take care not to burn your nose!
5) Add 1 tablespoon powdered cinnamon and 2 cloves to 8 oz of boiling water. Steep, cover for 20 minutes, then uncover and cool slightly. Add honey and lemon to taste. Drink 1 to 3 cups a day.
6) Add few drops of eucalyptus oil to boiling water and inhale steam by covering towel on the head so that steam does not escape.
For stomach upsets and loose motion, take a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and swallow it with drinking water two or three times in a day, which normally cures stomach upset and loose motion. Curd rice or rice kanchi (Rice Cereal with lots of liquid) is the menu during stomach upsets.
Stomach ache or pain:
Many a times we get a normal stomach ache that could be due to various reasons from eating something that does not suit us to over eating of a spicy food. Grandmas home remedies are in plenty for stomach pain. Try this before you panic and go the doctor.
- One and half teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and a glass of butter milk will do the magic. Just put the fenugreek seeds into your mouth and swallow them with the help of butter milk. Those who have an aversion for milk products can swallow the seeds with the help of water. You must be alright almost immediately, say within 15-20 minutes.
- Castor Oil: Just in case the pain is a little more than bearable, apply castor oil around your stomach in addition to the fenugreek seeds that is swallowed. You are sure to get rid of the pain which is an ordinary one due to a stomach upset. You can also feel gas relieved. This is a handy remedy for kids and adults this works very well in children.
Acidity and Gas Problem:
- Half a fresh lemon
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- Salt to taste (optional)
- One glass of drinking water
Squeeze out the juice from the lemon. Add salt and lemon juice to the glass of water. Add one teaspoon of baking soda, stir and drink the bubbling water immediately.
Mouth Ulcer or Oral Ulcer:
Oral or Mouth ulcer is a common problem. Traditionally it is believed that mouth ulcers are an indication of possible ulcers in the stomach and grandmas home remedies gives you relief from these painful ulcers.
- The leaves of the black nightshade is a good cure for mouth ulcers.
- A handful of fresh leaves are to be plucked from the plant, washed and eaten raw. This has to be repeated 2-3 times for at least 2 days.
- Alternately a tasty Indian dish commonly known as the “dal and greens leaves” can be made and eaten with rice. The leaves of this plant have to be cooked with mung bean (green gram). Salt and asafoetida are to be added as per taste and seasoning of mustard seeds is optional. Incidentally mung bean also has the property of healing ulcers. This too has to be repeated for 2-3 days.
- Any of the above 2 methods result in the reduction of painful mouth ulcers and cures in 2-3 days time.
- Mung bean or green gram is available in all Indian supermarkets.
For bad breath relief:
- Gargle with a small cup of lemon juice to kill odor-causing bacteria. Then eat a bit of plain unsweetened yogurt, which contains beneficial Lactobacillus bacteria. These so-called probiotics compete with and replace the reeking bacteria. The lemon-yogurt combo instantly neutralizes odor and lasts 12 to 24 hours.
- Eat few beetle nuts two times a day.
- Chew one cardamom three times a day.
- Chew few coriander seeds and drink water.
- Drink mint tea.
- Brush your teeth 3 times a day! And floss the teeth.
- Chew one clove a day.
For Hiccups control:
1) Swallow 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar. The dry granules stimulate and reset the irritated nerve that is causing the spasms of the diaphragm. Any coarse substance, such as salt, can work in a pinch, but sugar tastes best.
2) Take breath and hold your nose for few seconds and release the breath.
3) Drink little warm water with little sugar
1) Gargle twice daily with a solution of six pressed garlic cloves mixed into a glass of warm (not hot) water. Follow the regimen for three days. Research shows that fresh garlic juice has antimicrobial properties that fight pain-causing bacteria. The warm liquid soothes inflamed tissue.
2) Chew few spinach leaves and swallow the saliva/ juice
1) If you grazed your skin with a hot-from-the-oven cookie pan, apply Aloe vera gel to the burn as needed. The soothing and anti-inflammatory gel creates a second skin to protect it from air, which irritates exposed nerve endings.
2) Apply honey on the burnt spot using cotton ball. Honey is a good remedy for wounds and burns!
Read more at: Healthylife.werindia.com
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: September 27, 2016