Roses are one of the most beautiful, traditional, and fragrant flowers that you can plant in your garden. “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet,” says Juliet in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, which is so very true of the rose that has captured the minds and hearts of people through the ages. People bestow roses upon their loved ones especially on Valentine’s day as it represents love. After Valentine’s day or after the celebrations over these beautiful flowers sitting in a vase either will go waste or will be dumped in the garbage. But, did you know rose petals, fresh or dry can be used for culinary purposes?
Four easy recipes that you can try using rose petals are below:
1) Preparation of Gulkan: Rock candy 1/2 cup, Honey -1/2 cup, edible rose petals – 1 cup. Wash rose petals in cold water and keep under good sunlight. Remove all water content from petals. In a bowl or bottle place a layer of little powdered rock candy, little honey and few petals and place 2nd and 3rd layer following same order of the 3 ingredients. Cover the bowl with clean muslin cloth and tighten the cloth so that no external moisture should go inside the bowl or bottle. Keep this bottle every day under sunlight for next three weeks. After three weeks delicious gulkan will be ready to consume. This preparation does not need any artificial preservative as honey is a natural preservative.
2) Rose sharabth: Add few edible rose petals to water and let it seep for few minutes. Add little lemon juice, sugar and cardamom -drink to cool down the body heat during summer.
3) Rose petal yogurt: Store dried rose petals in a air tight bottle. During summer months, mix fresh edible rose petals or dried petals in yogurt, add little sugar for taste and have. This keeps body temperature under control and boosts the energy.
4) Rose buttermilk or lassi: For 1.5 cups of fresh yogurt or butter milk add 1/2 cup chilled water. To this add 8-10 fresh or dried edible rose petals and few drops of rose syrup (make sure to get good rose syrup). Add sugar according to your taste followed by few pistachio, almond and cashew. Blend everything using a mixer till the liquid becomes frothy. Serve when it is fresh. – This is another good drink for hot summer season.
Health benefits of roses:
1) For bad breath: To solve this problem -add 5 grams rock candy, 10 grams of dried rose petals and few drops of honey mix well. Eat little after lunch and dinner.
2) For constipation: Add few drops of ghee to rose hip khashayam and drink. To prepare rose hip khashayam -. Make tea with 2 tsp dried rose hips per 1 cup of boiling water, steep for 10 to 15 minutes. To this add few drops of ghee and drink.
3) For cold - Add few fresh edible rose petals to boiling water, add little jeera and pepper. Drink hot.
4) For burning eyes - Add few edible rose petals to warm water and allow it to soak for few minutes. Wash eyes using this water.
5) For head ache: Apply few drops of rose oil on forehead and massage slightly. This will help to get good sleep too.
6) For mouth ulcer: Add one tsp of rose gulkan to warm milk and drink every day. This will help to get rid of those boils in the mouth.
7) For skin and body :
- Add few drops of rose oil to water and have bath – it helps the body to relax
- Mix few drops of rose oil and sessame oil -apply on the body. Skin becomes smooth and removes dryness.
- Apply dilute rose water around the eyes to remove dark circle.
- Grind few rose petals with turmeric and sandal powder with milk or lemon juice. Apply on your face 10 minutes and wash your face. OR grind rose petals, turmeric, honey and glycerine – apply on face 10 minutes and wash your face.
- To warm water add rose petals and leave it for few minutes. Have bath using this water tor remove any body odor.
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: February 9, 2018