Few days back FSSAI officers in all Indian states and Union territories have been asked to stop sale of unlicensed sale of body building supplement Creatine Monohydrate a popular supplement used by body builders.
Creatine Monohydrate is being manufactured, imported and sold by many companies with or without FSSAI license number under various brand names and has occupied e-commerce business platforms. FSSAI has sent notices to prominent e-commerce sites – Flipkart, Homeshop18, Snapdeal and Amazon.
What is Creatine Monohydrate?
Creatine Monohydrate is one of the most popular supplements used by people looking to build lean muscle mass, maximize performance and increase strength. Increased Creatine in the muscle will increase the performance of athletes as it increases work capacity and improvement in training. Taking the supplement also increases lean body mass (FSSAI).
As per the reports this ingredient can cause kidney damage and other complications of health.
At present Creatine Monohydrate does not have a standard that is prescribed for its use under Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006. Food Business Operators that have valid licenses are selling the products that contain this ingredient and this act is illegal and unauthorized.
The substance is not banned by most body building or athletic organizations since its consumption is not considered doping. “We got several complaints that the supplement is being sold online and through Food Business Operators (FBOs) illegally, which increases the risk of duplicate or spurious product being passed on as well. We have served notices to several popular onlineshopping websites to remove supplements with this component,” said an FSSAI official.
As per the list released by FSSAI following FBOs are engaged in use of Creatine Monohydrate:
- Creatine Monohydrate – M/s Farmcare India Pvt Ltd – distributor, marketer. wholesaler – license central Delhi
- Muscle Crea – manufactured by Sources Nutrasciences and marketed by World of Proteins – No Licence
- Creatine Monohydrate – manufactured by M/s Kudos Nutritious in-state license Rajasthan
- Micronized Creatine Powder – manufactured by M/s Advance Nutratech – state license Delhi
- Creatine Monohydrate – manufactured by Healthgenie India Pvt Ltd – state license Delhi
- Creatine Monohydrate – manufactured and marketed by M/s DF Pharmacy Ltd – Central and State license Mumbai
- Nurocore Pre- workout – manufactured by M/s Lovato health Sciences – imported by M/s MusclePro Nutrition Pvt Ltd – License Central Mumbai
- Micronized Creatine Powder – manufactured in the USA and imported by M/s Bright Commodities – License central Mumbai
- Muscle Blaze – manufactured at Twilight Litika Pharma Ltd. for M/s Bright Lifecare Pvt Ltd – license central Delhi
- Creatine Monohydrate – Imported by M/s Neulife Nutritious Systems Pvt Ltd – License central Mumbai
- Creatine Monohydrate – manufactured by M/s Wellness Q.E.D – Licence Central Delhi
- Crealyte – manufactured by Lactonova Nutripharm Pvt Ltd – Licence central Chennai
- 100% Creatine – manufactured by Mac3Pharma – state license Harayana
FDA officials from Maharashtra will soon act against FBOs to prevent illengal manufacturing and selling this ingredient.
Doctors and Body Building Associations has welcomed this move. This will help to win the battle against doping and illegal sale. As per Chetan Pathare, General Secretary of Indian Body Building Federation “We are against any kind of performance enhancer or supplement as body building isn’t strictly dependent on intake of supplements. The issue is that so-called popular companies sell the supplements by bribing trainers and make huge profits,”
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: April 3, 2018