Self-control is simple phrase but it has deep meaning and powerful message. One can say self control is controlling oneself or controlling one’s action and thinking. The deeper meaning is selecting or choosing one’s own thoughts by making a firm decision. When people lack confidence and for every decision they depend on others they will not have a clear goal in life and will be far away from success. All great leaders in their respective fields know that no one can control others unless he first controls himself. Lack of self-control many times has negative impact on success in life.
“Most of the problems that plague modern individuals in our society — addiction, overeating, crime, domestic violence, sexually transmitted diseases, prejudice, debt, unwanted pregnancy, educational failure, underperformance at school and work, lack of savings, failure to exercise — have some degree of self-control failure as a central aspect”. Kirsten Weir
Self-control is a proven and significant key to success
Self-awareness is a key to self-control. How to develop self-control? Here are some thoughts…,
- No alcohol or limit alcohol: One can see that alcohol takes away the self-control and people blabber when they consume alcohol. The mind loses its ability to think and will ponder everywhere, as there are no definite or determined thoughts. Alcohol weakens self-awareness.
- Do not get stressed out too much: Too much stress causes strain to mind and when mind is restless, it results in poor judgment or no judgment at all. When the detachment develops, stress level goes down. Do your duty and leave the stress out.
- Do not be afraid to make mistakes: Everybody commit mistakes in life. That should not stop anyone to grow. Do not be critical on yourself when you commit mistake. By making mistake one will learn. This is nature, because this gives experience. Do not ignore how the mistake makes you feel; just do not wallow in it. When you are afraid to make mistake, you will lose control on yourself.
- Do not lose your temper: When you are making important decisions, if someone tells you what to do just listen to them. Do not argue and do not lose your temper. Losing temper will impair your judgment and you will lose control of your thoughts. Listening to others is not going to hurt you. The main objective here is taking proper decision and not losing control on oneself.
- Unnecessary spending: The desire to buy something or anything is a habit of many people. We do not think about spending hard earn money when we feel like buying something. It can cause trouble or we may end up in debt. This is due to lack of self -control. Take control of yourself and analyze yourself – think for a minute whether you really need it before spending. This helps to develop self-awareness and self-control.
- Talking too much: Some people have habit of talking too much and will not others to talk. Jumping and taking the conversation away from another person is not only discourteous, but it deprives the person who does it of many valuable opportunities to learn from the other person. Learn to listen and will help you develop control on your thoughts and talk.
- Do not lose sight of productivity: Irritation and underlying arguments at home or work is the cause of lack of productivity. Keep yourself focused and make up your mind to be productive. This will lead to success.
- Develop will power: The ability to resist temptation and restrain our impulses is will power. When we have sufficient will power we control ourselves. Will power is more important than the looks, money and other desires. Practice will power and you will find happiness.
- Meditation: Do not underestimate the power of meditation. It helps to take control on ones’ own thoughts. Why do you think sages and monks appear calm and kind always? Meditation helps them in controlling destructive thoughts. Meditation actually trains your brain to become a self-control machine.
“More than talent or native intelligence, it’s the mental toughness mindset that enables us to achieve our goals” Renita Kalhorn
Self-control is the most important factor in achieving what you want . If you want to succeed – take care of your self-control!
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: August 7, 2020