In modern era with more technology, inventions and competitions -all are leading a busy life and sometimes to cope up with so many things can be very stressful. It is important to keep up a stress free life and relaxed mind so that we don’t lose focus on what we are doing and not harming ourselves and our family. Sometimes we need extra help from outside that can calm our mind and body. Ayurveda the ancient medicinal system offers number of herbs that hae ability to foster clarity and brings relaxation and happiness in the mind and body. These herbs act on our central nervous systems and bring down the stress hormone levels.
According to Ayurveda health is more than absence of just a disease. It is integration of body, mind, spirit and environment. The body and mind balance is In Ayurveda mental processing ability is divided into three categories. They are: acquisition, retention, and recall. Those calming herbs are also known as worry free herbs help with our stress by enhancing these three mental processes. The main dosha according to Ayurveda that is responsible for stress and imbalance in mind is vata. When Vata becomes aggravated or excessive, one may experience anxiety, insomnia, palpitations, and digestive issues, among other symptoms. Whether it is kapha, vata or pitta – in Ayurveda it is important to find the dosha that is responsible for the body and mind stress and treatment happens based on this basic diagnosis.
Few herbs that are recommended by Ayurveda for body and mind calming are:
- Ashwagandha; (Withania somnifera ) has long been in use for its ability to support the body in coping with stress while calming the mind. It is an adaptogen. Ashwagandha is particularly beneficial for Vata types as it calms the nervous system and helps focus the mind. It helps to gain the quality energy in the day and good sleep in the night. The root of the ashwagandha plant is the part most commonly used in Western herbal medicines. It soothes the nerves, lowers that cortisol level.
- Gotu Kola or Centella asiatica is incredibly sattvic in nature and is renowned for its ability to balance the nervous system and the mind. It is a cooling, relaxing tonic for pitta, and it helps to calm vata in the mind. It helps in balancing the mind. Growing in some areas of the Himalayas, gotu kola is used by yogis to improve meditation.
- Triphala:Triphala is a blend of three fruits namely Indian gooseberry or amla, Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) and Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica). All these three herbs comprise triphala have potent healing and purifying properties. Triphala not only balances vata, it also blances pitta and kapha doshas. Triphala also takes care of digestive and lung problems, nervous sytems and balances the organs.
- Holy basil: Tulasi: This lovely and devine plant has so many good qualities. It comes handy as a regular medicine for common ailments. And, it is also an adaptogen, it helps the body during stress. The air coming from holy basil itself purifies the mind. Leaves of the plant can be taken in the form of tea. Seeds can be soaked in the water and one can drink seed soaked water. It has most soothing effect on the mind.
- Lemon balm: Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) calms the nervous system, soothes digestion, and lowers blood pressure. It is easy to take as a tea or a tincture and it works quickly. It helps in getting good sleep. Lemon balm has calming effects and people take it for anxiety, sleep problems, and restlessness.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purpose only. If you or your loved ones are suffering from any stress, before taking any of these herbal supplements seek your doctors opinion.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: May 24, 2016