In case of emergency, family members can follow a five -step method to place patient in the prone position using a regular bed, flat sheet.
- Using a flat sheet, pull the patient to one side of the bed
- Place the flat sheet around the arm that will pull through (the side you are turning toward)
- A second flat sheet is placed on the bed and tucked under the patient. This sheet will pull through as you are turning the patient.
- Using the sheet, turn the patient over and position the patient prone. The arm and sheet will pull across the bed
- Pull and center the patient. Discard the sheet that was used to place the patient in the supine position. Straighten lines and tubes
Non-self pronating steps are for those patients who cannot do proning by themselves.
Image credit: Pennmedicine.org
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: May 11, 2021