Eggplant side effects: Eggplant is consumed in many ways: stir fry, sambar, curry, added to soup, grilled, pizza topping etc. It belongs to nightshade family.
- Acid reflux and acidity: Eggplant can cause acidity especially during pregnancy
- Allergy: Sometimes hives, rashes and redness of eyes can happen because of eggplant consumption. It also includes throat itching, nausea, and skin rashes.
- Potassium and fiber content: These two contents in eggplant are beneficial for us. However, in excess it can cause stomach upset, vomiting and hyperkalemia.
- Spinach poisoning: Eggplant also has good number of nitrates like spinach. However, when reacts with certain amino acids it can form nitrosamines that when in room temperate increases bacterial activity and converts nitrate to nitrite. This is not good for young children.
- Interference with drugs: Especially with antidepressant drugs eggplant might not go well. Chemicals in eggplant might interfere with chemical reaction of drugs inside body.
- Tumor testing: Eggplant has serotonin which is also secreted by carcinoid tumor. When someone wants to go for carcinoid tumor test, they must not consume eggplant 72 hrs. prior to avoid false result.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: November 28, 2018