Recipe by : Ms. Kalyani Kutagolla
Looking for good recipe for this Deepavali (Diwali) ? Then, here is one tasty Medu (soft) vada recipe easy to make. This is kids friendly, as it requires vegetables and less spice. Try this recipe this Diwali day!
- Urd daal (split black gram) (1 cup)
- White rice (1/4 cup)
- Coconut pieces (1/4 cup)
- Grated carrot (1/4 cup)
- Green peas (1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Green chilies – 4 to 5
- Cooking soda – A pinch
- Ginger – 2 inches ginger
- Chopped coriander -1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 or 2 strings
- Cut onions – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
* One can make 16 vadas from this suggested quantity
- Soak urd daal and rice for 3 hours.
- Coarse grind with less water (1/4 cup) – to get soft vadas grind the batter with just enough water to make soft but not watery dough. When you put the batter on your palm, batter should hold its shape.
- Add all ingredients – vegetables, curry leaves, coriander, salt, cumin, black pepper, coconut piece and start frying vadas.
- Do not ferment the dough as fermented dough takes more oil. Instead, after adding all the ingredients to dough fry the vadas.
- In a deep pan heat oil to medium high heat. (If oil is too hot vadas will turn brown soon but inside content will not cook).
- Grease a plastic sheet with oil. Take a bowl of water wet your hands and place a portion of dough over your palm. Make a hole in centre and flatten it to round shape. Then drop it slowly in heated oil, deep fry until vada turns to golden brown color on both sides.
- Place them over paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot vadas with coconut chutney.
*This vegetable medu vada can be a good appetizer too – decorate on dining table as it is shown in the image!
Image copyright : Kalyani Kutagolla (@ www.werindia.com)
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: November 9, 2015