While providing recipe for “stuffed baby eggplant curry” we talked about the benefits of eggplant. Another eggplant recipe is here for eggplant lovers.
Roasted eggplant mosaru bajji is another traditional dish from Karnataka, India.
Eggplant is considered as one of the healthiest fruit. It contains phytonutrients like phenolic compounds, such as caffeic and chlorogenic acid, and flavonoids such as nasunin.
Nasunin helps in preventing free radical damage. Eggplant is also a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B1, and copper. It also contains good amount of manganese, vitamin B6, niacin, potassium, folate, and vitamin K.
- Eggplant- 1 big
- Curd -1 to 1 & 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Mustard -1/2 tsp
- Urad daal -1 tsp
- Red chilli -1
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Oil/clarified butter (ghee) – 1Tbs
1. On low flame char the eggplant skin – it should turn tender and charred outside. Using a knife check whether eggplant turned soft inside.
2. Allow eggplant to cool and remove the outer charred skin and mash the eggplant using your fingers or with help of a spoon. Eggplant will give smoked flavor.
3. In a bowl take curd and whisk it till it becomes smooth.
4. Add whisked curd to roasted, mashed eggplant.
5. Heat oil in a ladle and prepare seasoning using mustard, red chilli, urad daal, curry leaves and asafoetida.
6. Add seasoning and salt to eggplant – yogurt mix and mix well.
7. Before serving add few chopped coriander leaves and chopped onions (option) and serve.
One can mix this dish with white rice or have with tamarind rice, chapatti, bread, roti, lemon rice etc.