Indian spinach also known as palak leaves are popular leafy vegetable in Indian cuisine. It resembles spinach leaves and provides health benefits like spinach. It contains good amount of iron, magnesium and calcium. It is a good for diabetic diet, bone health, cancer diet and known to reduce blood pressure. There are many varieties of dishes one can prepare using Indian spinach or palak. Palak paneer is famous dish found in Indian restaurants throughout the world. If you are fan of Basmati rice and you can try spicy palak basmati rice following below recipe.
1. Basmati rice – 1 cup
2. Onion – ½ sliced thin
3. Palak leaves – 1.5 cups chopped
4. Garlic – 2 or 3 cloves, small cut pieces
5. Green chilli – 2 or 3
6. Green peas – ¼ cup
7. Clarified butter (ghee)– 1.5 tsp
8. Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
9. Salt – as per taste
1. Cook Basmati rice – do not overcook.
2. On medium heat, place a wide pan and add ghee.
3. dd cumin seeds followed by slit green chilli, sliced onion, garlic pieces and fry /sauté for few minutes.
4. Add chopped palak leaves and continue frying for about one or two minutes. Palak will change color and shrink in size as it cooks.
5. Add green peas and cook for few minutes.
6. Now turn heat source to low heat and add cooked Basmati rice, salt and mix with fried ingredients.
7. Serve hot Basmati palak rice with raita for lunch or dinner.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: June 19, 2019