Originally, buttermilk was the liquid left behind after churning butter out of cream. This type of buttermilk is known as traditional buttermilk. Buttermilk is a good source for curing stomach indigestion, stomach worms and also acts as a coolant.
In India, a popular drink made of buttermilk is known as chaas or masala buttermilk. Instead of drinking coffee, tea during hot weather one can have chaas and cure thirst.
Ingredients of chaas
- 2 cups fresh curds (dahi) , whisked
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1/2 tsp black salt (sanchal)
- 2-4 mint leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Little lime juice
- For The Garnish :2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the curds, cumin seeds powder, ginger-green chilli paste, black salt, mint leaves and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add 4 cups of chilled water and whisk well. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add asafetida and pour over the buttermilk.
- Serve chilled garnished with coriander
- If needed add ice cubes
Nutrient values in chaas:
There are 37 calories in a 1 serving of Chaas. Calorie breakdown: 47% fat, 31% carbs, 22% protein. Serving size = 250 ml. (http://www.fatsecret.com/)
Image courtesy: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8159/7151106239_b30acda721_b.jpg
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: June 16, 2015