It is jackfruit season in India and other tropical countries. There are varieties of dishes one can prepare using raw and ripened jackfruits. Jackfruit is rich in fiber, potassium, calcium, iron, and seeds are rich in protein. Jackfruit is considered as an alternate to meat and is also popular because these big fruits can save people from starvation.
Jackfruit spicy fritters or pakora recipe
- Raw jackfruit edible bulbs – 300 grams
- Chickpea flour – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 2 Tbsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp.
- Green chili – 1 or 2 chopped
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Asafetida – pinch
- Cumin – ½ tsp
- Chopped cilantro (coriander) – ¼ cup
- Ginger – 1 inch grated
- Salt – to taste.
- Oil – for frying.
- Cut open jackfruit and use edible bulbs for pakora preparation. Cut the raw edible portion into very thin slices. Alternatively you can pressure cook jackfruit (with very little water & one whistle) and use it for pakora making.
- Transfer cut jackfruit pieces (or cooked jackfruit) into a bowl and add besan, salt, chili powder, green chili pieces, rice flour, asafetida, cumin, chipped coriander, turmeric powder, grated ginger and mix well.
- Sprinkle little water and continue mixing. Leave it aside for few minutes.
- On medium heat place deep frying pan and heat oil.
- Slowly release few jackfruit fritter mix into heated oil and deep fry. Remove fritters once it turns golden brown.
- Transfer hot jackfruit fritters on paper towel to remove excess oil and serve hot pakoras/ fritters with tomato ketch up or green chutney.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: June 30, 2021