Sometimes we feel like having semisolid hot food. Answer for this is soup. Soup not only helps to sooth system, it also sufficiently fills the stomach. Moong dal which highly nutritious when cooked with sweet corn and spinach gives a delicious soup that is easy to digest.
Shorba is Indian soup that is popularly served in Indian cuisine. Sweet corn, spinach and moong dal shorba is a popular soup that is served in Indian resturants all over the world. One can have shorba with rotis or bread. This soup is also good for sick people as it helps to gain the strength.
Moong dal, sweet corn and spinach shorba recipe
- Split moong dal – 1 cup
- Sweet corn -1.5 cups
- Spinach – ½ cup
- Garlic – 3 or 4 cloves
- Green chili- 2
- Green cardamom – 3
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Cumin- 1 tsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Black pepper – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric -1/4 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Cilantro – ¼ cup
- Oil for seasoning- 1 Tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Cook moong dal in pressure cooker and mash cooked moong dal using a masher
- In a deep vessel heat oil on medium heat. Add cumin, mustard, green cardaomom, asafoetida, bay leaf, garlic clove and green chilis- fry for a minute or two.
- You can use tinned sweet corn or cook sweet corn at home – mash sweet corn and add it to seasoning. Continue frying sweet corn for 3-5 minutes.
- Add cut spinach and black pepper to sweet corn. Continue cooking for couple of more minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and bring it to boil. Add smashed moong dal and salt. Continue boiling for 2-3 minutes. Add chopped cilantro before serving.
- Serve hot shorba in bowls with Indian rotis or naan or with bread.
Image credit: https://www.pinterest.com.mx/pin/20125529571267453/
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: April 14, 2021