Here is a healthy vegan soup recipe that you must try that helps your digestive system in good condition. Chickpea vegetable soup -Mixing chickpea with vegetables in vegetable broth gives you enough nutrients of the day with protein, fiber, iron, Vitamins and calcium. Recipe calls for flavoring greens, few vegetables and chickpea – good combination of all these ingredients with spices makes the soup yummy and goes well with bread or rotis.
Two parts for the recipe: Vegetable broth preparation & Soup preparation
*You can also add other vegetables to soup– like kale, amaranthus, coconut milk, squash, nuts etc.
Part 1: How to prepare vegetable broth? You can make as much quantity as you want and can refrigerate vegetable broth up to 2 weeks.
- Onion -1 medium
- Garlic- few cloves
- Celery- 2 inches
- Bay leaves – 3-4
- Parsley – little (dry or fresh)
- Thyme – little (dry or fresh)
- Cilantro – little (optional)
- Rosemary – little (optional)
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Tomato – 1 or 2
- Salt- as per taste
- Crushed black pepper – 2 tsp
- Water – 2-3 cups
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- In a deep vessel heat oil, add onion, carrots, garlic and celery. Fry for couple of minutes.
- Add salt and crushed pepper. Sauté for few minutes so that contents will get soft and slightly brown
- Add available greens (bay leaves, parsley, thyme), add salt and little more crushed pepper – mix well. Now add required amount of water, let the contents come to a boil.
- Add chopped tomato and continue cooking the contents for few more minutes. Adjust the taste according to your needs. Turn off the heat. (you can add pinch of yeast with tomato- optional)
- Once the contents cooled down, strain and store the broth in a vessel. When you are ready to prepare soup use the broth.
What to do with leftover broth vegetables? – You can add with vegetable juice, add into pasta or can add into gravy.
Part 2: Chickpea- Vegetable soup recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil -1 Tbsp
- Chopped onion- 1 medium size
- Grated Ginger – 1 inch
- Vegetable stock -Half liter
- Small cut carrots – 2 cups
- Cut green beans- 2 cups
- Chickpea – 1 can (or soak a ½ cup overnight & pressure cook)
- Garlic finely chopped – 1 clove
- Garam masala -1 tsp
- Chopped cilantro – 2 Tbsp
- Heat oil in a deep vessel, add onion, ginger and garlic. Fry for couple of minutes.
- Add cut beans, carrots and garam masala, continue frying for another 2-3 minutes
- Now add vegetable broth. Let the contents simmer for about ten minutes.
- Add chickpeas, salt as per your taste and mix soup well while continue heating for few more minutes.
- Remove and garnish soup with cilantro, serve hot with bread or rotis. Image: Google curtesy.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: May 27, 2020