Bottle gourd is a good vegetable that promotes healthy weight loss. It is good for diabetic patients to combat thirst. It supports healthy digestion, combats flatulence, colic pain, stomach ulcer and constipation. Bottle gourd also prevents premature graying of hair and promotes hair growth. It also promotes skin health. In Ayurveda it is highly recommended for reducing inflammation of liver.
- Medium size bottle gourd -1
- Green chilli -1 or 2
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- For seasoning – curry leaves, cumin, mustard seeds
- Chopped cilantro – ½ cup
- Asafetida – pinch
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – little
- Grated coconut – 1 Tbsp (optional)
- Wash and peel bottle gourd skin and cut it to small pieces,
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a vessel and prepare seasoning.
- Add cut bottle gourd pieces, slightly fry with cut green chilli and add one cup water. Let bottle gourd cook for 10 mins.
- Now add asafetida, salt and turmeric powder, chilli powder and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add chopped coriander and grated coconut.
- Mix well and serve hot with chapatti, roti, puri, rice, bread or eat tasty curry as it is.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: February 20, 2019