This Pongal /Sankranthi prepare beaten rice (poha/avalakki) sweet and khara (spicy) pongal. Both recipes are very easy to prepare and will not take more than half an hour to prepare. And, yes both varieties of pongal are very delicious!
Spicy beaten rice pongal:
- Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Beaten rice – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Crushed black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Grated dry coconut – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – Few
- Cashew nuts – 1/4 cup
- Asafetida – pinch
- Wash and cook moong dal in a pressure cooker
- Rinse beaten rice and drain the water completely
- In a pan on medium heat, add ghee. To heated ghee fry cashew pieces and then add cumin, crushed black pepper, curry leaves, grated coconut and asafetida.
- Add cooked moong dal, beaten rice and salt. Mix well on low heat. If needed add little more ghee for flavor.
- Continue mixing till the Pongal is semi-solid in consistency.
- Serve hot beaten rice Pongal with coconut chutney!
Beaten rice sweet Pongal
- Beaten rice 1 cup
- Sugar or jaggery – ¼ cup
- Ghee- 1 Tbsp
- Cardamom powder – little
- Raisins- 1 Tbsp
- Broken cashew- few
- Saffron (optional) – little
- Clove – 2
- Water – half cup
- Wash beaten rice and drain water
- Heat ghee in a pan on medium heat and add sugar, Mix well and add half cup water. If you are using jaggery make sure it dissolves completely in the boiling water.
- Add cardamom powder and bring it content to boil.
- Now add beaten rice and mix well. If you prefer add saffron. Continue mixing till the consistency turns to semi-solid.
- In a frying pan add little ghee and fry clove, cashew and raisin. When cashew turns golden yellow add contents to beaten rice sweet Pongal and mix well.
- Serve hot sweet beaten rice Pongal
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 15, 2020