Whether cutting or cooking vegetables, we look for shortcuts and want vegetables texture and taste to remain same. Some of the everyday tips to cook vegetables might help you out and save time and money.
- When you have time cut green chillies, fry in little oil, add little salt and lemon juice and store in an airtight bottle or jar. When you are cooking curry add these seasoned chilli.
- To add seasoning to rasam or curry, prepare more seasoning based on curry types for a week.
Add fresh curry leaves, mustard, red and green chilli for seasoning. Store in a container after cooling. Add a spoon of seasoning after preparing curry and rasam. This saves time.
- To retain green color of coriander and mint chutney add 2 tsp of lemon juice while grinding.
- Dry mint and curry leaves in sun light. Store in air tight bottles. Use when you need them.
- While cutting coyote, cut it into to halves in the beginning and immerse in water before cutting into small pieces. This will keep your hands glue free
- Before cutting raw banana apply oil on hands and cutting board. After cutting banana apply little more oil to remove any black color in hands and wash with soap.
- Cut onion into two halves and keep them in water for few minutes. You will be tear free when you cut onions further.
- To remove excessive bitterness from bitter gourd, wash and cut them into small pieces. Add 2 tsp turmeric and little salt. Mix well, keep aside. Squeeze pieces to remove water from pieces before cooking.
- After cutting egg plants or raw jackfruit or raw banana, transfer the pieces to water containing half cut butter milk. Vegetables will not turn black.
- While cooking okra, add little tamarind water after frying okra. Sliminess of okra will not happen because of sour tamarind.
- Another way to keep okra slime free while cooking, wash cut okra into 1 inch pieces and place on paper towel for few minutes, then cook.
- After squeezing lemons, do not throw lemon peel. Either prepare pickle or use them to clean brass and silver vessels. Or else, you can add them at base of cooker in water. This keeps cooker bright and stain free inside.
- Cauliflower will have small worms (most of the time). Cut and transfer cauliflower florets into a vessel having salt water for few minutes. Small worms will come out the florets. Discard water and prepare cauliflower dish.
- When roasting any vegetables, first heat oil and toss vegetable in oil. Afterwards season them with salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder or pepper or any herbs that you want to use for flavor.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 11, 2019