Incredible Health Benefits of Bamboo Shoots
Bamboo shoots are sprouts of bamboo grass that spring on the ground. Bamboo is a common ingredient in many Asian cuisine. After removing outer brownish cover of young bamboo sprout, white inner portion of the shoot is used for cooking. These white shoots after curing are used in various dish preparations – curry, pickle, sambaar, stir-fry, soup, salad etc. Including bamboo shoot in diet has several health benefits. Curing, nutrients and benefits of bamboo shoots:
Curing is very important before using bamboo shoot as it contains a toxin substance called cyanogenic glycosides. Soaking bamboo shoot for minimum 48 hours in water followed by wash in fresh water before using removes this toxin. One can use cured, canned, fermented bamboo shoots in dishes or follow curing method before using fresh bamboo shoots.
Bamboo shoots are low in calories and sugar content, high in protein, fiber and contain important minerals like Potassium, phosphorus, calcium, silica, iron and copper. It also contains vitamins B6, E and K. In addition, it also supplies riboflavin and thiamine. These young shoots are source of tyrosine, arginine histidine, and leucine as amino acids.
Bamboo shoot based diets are rich source of dietary fibers and phytosterols and less cholesterol contents which make them one of the popular natural health foods.
How bamboo shoots promote health?
- Helps in weight loss – Being low-calorie, high-density fiber food including bamboo shoots helps in promoting weight loss.
- Promotes digestion and bowel movement – Rich fiber content is eases digestion and reduces constipation.
- Good for heart health – Low calorie, low sugar promotes heart health as it controls LDL and this helps in blood circulation. Potassium presence helps in balancing blood pressure. It also reduces hypertension and obesity.
- It has low glycemic index – Low calorie, low sugar content makes it low in glycemic index and is a good for reducing sugar level.
- It is also immune booster – All nutrients present in bamboo shoots boost immune system. Eating bamboo shoot onset of monsoon and cold winter season helps to stay away from viral infection.
- For improving lung function – Presence of essential vitamins makes it a good expectorant. Drinking bamboo shoot juice with honey improves lungs function by reducing phlegm.
- Reduces inflammation – Those who suffer from chronic inflammation can incorporate bamboo shoot.
- Helps in controlling cholesterol level – Bamboo shoot is ideal for lowering cholesterol level and bring change in triglycerides level. Including bamboo shoots in diet has reducing effect on serum content of total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein.
- Good for bone- Presence of potassium, calcium and phosphorous in food is essential for bone health. Both these nutrients are present in bamboo shoot. Presence of high levels of antioxidants improves joint health.
- Reduces stomach problems- Bamboo shoots helps to recover from stomach disorders like diarrhea, constipation, gas, bloating problem. It is also a good food source for reducing stomach ulcers.
- To remove poison – Bamboo shoot juice is antivenomous and helps in removal of toxic.
- Antitumor property – Studies have shown that bamboo shoots have anticancer property. Reason for bamboos this property is attributed to the presence of lignans and phytosterols.
- Good for skin – Consuming young shoots improves skin health. Silica in bamboo shoot is good for improving elasticity of skin by collagen production. Bamboo shoots extract is an important ingredient in skin care products.
Precautions: Bamboo shoots are not recommended for pregnant women and infants. In pregnant women it could cause stomachache and bleeding.
Image credit: Takeaway, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: February 7, 2023
« Home Remedies For Stomach Worms Remedies to dissolve fat around belly »
Write a comment